River question (looking for angles and headings)

In summary, the boat heading should be 147.1 degrees relative to the shore in the downstream direction.
alexi_b

Homework Statement

A child in danger of drowning in a river is being carried downstream by a current that has a speed of 2.35km/h. The child is 0.505km from shore and 0.780km upstream of a boat landing when a rescue boat sets out. If the boat proceeds at its maximum speed of 18.8km/h relative to the water,
a) what heading relative to the shore should the captain take?
b)What angle (in degrees) does the boat velocity make with the shore?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for a) i just tried using the inverse of tan of (0.6/0.8) but apparently its not right
for b) I thought if the angle found in a was right, i could find the velocity components and subtract the velocity of the river from the y-direction and put those values into a right angled triangle to solve for the angle but that didnt work either

Physics news on Phys.org
alexi_b said:
inverse of tan of (0.6/0.8)
Where did the 0.6 and 0.8 come from?

It usually helps in such problems to draw a diagram and create variable names for all the data rather than use the numbers. They can be plugged in later.
Let the boat speed be b, the current speed c, the distance from the shore x, and the distance along the stream y. If the boat heads at angle θ to the shore, what are its velocity components relative to the stream?

haruspex said:

It usually helps in such problems to draw a diagram and create variable names for all the data rather than use the numbers. They can be plugged in later.
Let the boat speed be b, the current speed c, the distance from the shore x, and the distance along the stream y. If the boat heads at angle θ to the shore, what are its velocity components relative to the stream?
Sorry I was referring to another question but it was suppose to be tan inverse of (0.505/0.780). I also don’t get how to visualize it. Is the boat starting on one end of the shore and I have to find the angle it makes relative to the shore across the river?

haruspex said:

And also to add I kept getting 32.9 for my angle for a, which is apparently wrong. I drew it out like you said and my answer is still wrong so do you proposing anything else?

alexi_b said:
suppose to be tan inverse of (0.505/0.780)

That is directly toward where the child is relative to the landing right now. The river is moving. The child is moving. It takes time for the boat to get there. You can’t just aim at where the child is, you have to aim at where he will be when the boat finally gets there.

Cutter Ketch said:
That is directly toward where the child is relative to the landing right now. The river is moving. The child is moving. It takes time for the boat to get there. You can’t just aim at where the child is, you have to aim at where he will be when the boat finally gets there.
but wouldn't the apply to part b)?

alexi_b said:
but wouldn't the apply to part b)?

Yes, I see. You are right

Cutter Ketch said:
Yes, I see. You are right
So how do you propose I solve part a)? The only way I could think of is solving using tan inverse

alexi_b said:
getting 32.9 for my angle for a
That is what I get.
To be clear, "heading" means the angle the boat points. If we assume the boy and boat are equally affected by the current then we can ignore it for part a.
(In reality, though, the current is slow near the shore and at maximum in midstream, but we have no information on that.)
Edit: there is an ambiguity. Is it the angle to the shore in the downstream direction or the upstream direction? Maybe the answer to a should be 147.1 degrees.

1. What tools do I need to measure angles and headings along a river?

To measure angles and headings along a river, you will need a compass, a protractor, and a map of the river. A GPS device can also be helpful for accurately recording your measurements.

2. How do I determine the angles and headings of a river?

To determine the angles and headings of a river, first identify two points along the river that you want to measure. Use your compass to determine the direction of the flow of the river at each point. Then, use your protractor to measure the angle between the two directions. This will give you the angle and heading of that section of the river.

3. What is the importance of measuring angles and headings along a river?

Measuring angles and headings along a river can provide valuable information for navigation, engineering projects, and environmental studies. It can also help determine the flow and direction of the river, which can impact activities such as fishing and boating.

4. Are there any challenges in measuring angles and headings along a river?

One challenge in measuring angles and headings along a river is the changing nature of the river. The flow and direction may vary at different points along the river, making it difficult to get accurate and consistent measurements. Additionally, factors such as wind and currents can impact the accuracy of the measurements.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of my measurements along a river?

To ensure the accuracy of your measurements along a river, it is important to use precise tools and techniques. Make sure your compass and protractor are calibrated correctly, and take multiple measurements at each point to account for any variations. It can also be helpful to have a second person assist with the measurements to improve accuracy and consistency.