Calculating rest mass and energy (in an inertial frame)

In summary, the Accelerator's rest frame has an energy of 8.49GeV. The free particle has a total energy of 10GeV measured in this frame. The particle's momentum is 8 GeV/c in this frame.
CricK0es

Homework Statement

A particle is accelerated so it has a total energy of 10GeV measured in the accelerator’s rest frame. The particle's momentum is 8GeV/c in the same frame. Calculate...

a.) Rest mass of the particle
b.) Energy in an inertial frame in which its momentum is 6GeV/c
c.) The speed of the this reference frame relative to the accelerator's rest frame.

Homework Equations

http://www.sciweavers.org/upload/Tex2Img_1486938602/render.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the stated relevant equation, I found the rest mass to be equal to 6 GeV/c^2, and then the energy in the inertial frame to be 0. I'm not sure if these are right, especially b! So I'm worried I may have over simplified things a little.

I'm not entirely sure how to do c. Could I attempt to rearrange the relativistic momentum equation using transforms?

Any guidance would be much appreciated...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
CricK0es said:

Homework Equations

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sciweavers.org%2Fupload%2FTex2Img_1486935053%2Frender.png
There's a misprint in this equation. But I don't think it affected your result for (a), which I think is correct.

Using the stated relevant equation, I found the rest mass to be equal to 6 GeV/c^2, and then the energy in the inertial frame to be 0.
You must have made a mistake for part (b). Can the relativistic total energy of a free particle ever be zero?

I'm not entirely sure how to do c. Could I attempt to rearrange the relativistic momentum equation using transforms?
I'd have to see more detail of what you mean here.

TSny said:
You must have made a mistake for part (b). Can the relativistic total energy of a free particle ever be zero?

Yeah I was confused with b. I assumed there should always be energy as a result of mass. So I can't simply plug in my rest mass and the given momentum value for the specified inertial frame?

CricK0es said:
Yeah I was confused with b. I assumed there should always be energy as a result of mass.
Yes, the minimum possible energy is the rest energy associated with the mass.
So I can't simply plug in my rest mass and the given momentum value for the specified inertial frame?
Yes, you can do that. :smile: But you shouldn't get zero for the total energy.

Oh I put a minus! Why?! xD Okay...

http://www.sciweavers.org/upload/Tex2Img_1486942686/render.png

Therefore E = 8.49GeV

For c. I was thinking of using p = γmv... But using a velocity transform

http://www.sciweavers.org/upload/Tex2Img_1486943107/render.png

I'm not entirely sure how applicable it would be. But I'll have a play and come back in the morning. Come to think of it I don't think it would work with the available info, without some serious playing around. But I'll come back in the morning and see what I've got. Thank you so far

1. What is rest mass and how is it different from relativistic mass?

Rest mass is the mass of an object when it is at rest in an inertial frame. It is an inherent property of an object and does not change with its velocity. Relativistic mass, on the other hand, is the mass of an object as observed from a moving reference frame. It increases with the object's velocity and is a result of the effects of special relativity.

2. How is rest mass calculated?

Rest mass is calculated using the famous equation E=mc^2, where E is the energy of the object, m is the rest mass, and c is the speed of light. The rest mass can be determined by rearranging this equation to m=E/c^2.

3. What is the relationship between rest mass and energy?

The relationship between rest mass and energy is described by Einstein's equation E=mc^2. This means that mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into one another. The amount of energy an object has is directly proportional to its rest mass.

4. How is energy calculated in an inertial frame?

In an inertial frame, the total energy of an object is the sum of its rest mass energy and its kinetic energy. The kinetic energy is calculated using the equation KE=1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. The total energy can also be calculated using the relativistic energy equation E=γmc^2, where γ is the Lorentz factor.

5. Can an object have negative rest mass?

No, an object cannot have negative rest mass. Rest mass is always a positive quantity and is a fundamental property of an object. However, in some cases, the total energy of an object can be negative, which is referred to as "negative mass". This is a concept in theoretical physics and does not refer to the actual rest mass of an object.