Calculating satellites´ period of revolution

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
JukuJohannes
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Earths´ satellite orbits 4200km above Earths surface. Count satellites´ trajectory circle-shaped and calculate satellites´period of revolution.

The Attempt at a Solution


I added the Earths´ radius to the 4200 km, which represents the orbiting attitude and then my mind crashed...
please some helpo:)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What is the acceleration of gravity at that height? (Hint: it's not 9.8)

What other acceleration is there from circular motion?
 
LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

What is the acceleration of gravity at that height? (Hint: it's not 9.8)

What other acceleration is there from circular motion?

Of course the centripetal-acceleration but I thought that I should know the mass of the satellite to calculate the acceleration of gravity...

btw.. thanks for the welcome
 
JukuJohannes said:
Of course the centripetal-acceleration but I thought that I should know the mass of the satellite to calculate the acceleration of gravity...

btw.. thanks for the welcome

Since the 2 accelerations will need to offset to stay in orbit, you won't need the mass.
 
LowlyPion said:
Since the 2 accelerations will need to offset to stay in orbit, you won't need the mass.

yeah, that settles it down, I think I can see the big picture now,
Thank You!