Calculating Scattered Light Intensity at Different Wavelengths

In summary, the scattered light intensity at λ = 400nm can be calculated using the Reyleigh scattering formula, where it is proportional to the initial light intensity and the fraction that gets scattered. The intensity formula may need to be adjusted depending on whether intensity is measured per interval of ν or per interval of λ.
senobim

Homework Statement

Light is scattered in cuvette by Reyleigh scattering, and is measured by monochromator.
Light intesity is given by I(ν)=I0ν1/2 relationship

What is scattered light intensity at λ = 400nm if at λ = 800nm is I800?

Homework Equations

Scattered light intensity is proportional to I = 1/λ4

and ν = c/λ --> I(λ) = I0(c/λ)1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

That's about it I can think of about this problem, any hints would be appreciated! ;]

Physics news on Phys.org
Your scattered light intensity is the product of the initial light intensity (which you transformed already) and the fraction that gets scattered (where you have the relation).

It is a bit unclear if intensity is meant "per interval of ν" or "per interval of λ". If the intensity formula and the answer use different conventions you would have to transform that.

What is scattered light intensity?

Scattered light intensity refers to the amount of light that is scattered in different directions when it passes through a medium, such as air or water.

How is scattered light intensity measured?

Scattered light intensity is typically measured using a photometer or spectrophotometer, which can detect and quantify the amount of light scattered by a sample.

What factors affect the intensity of scattered light?

The intensity of scattered light is affected by the size and shape of the particles in the medium, the wavelength of the incident light, and the concentration of the particles in the medium.

What is the difference between forward and backward scattered light intensity?

Forward scattered light intensity refers to the light scattered in the same direction as the incident light, while backward scattered light intensity refers to the light scattered in the opposite direction.

How is scattered light intensity used in scientific research?

Scattered light intensity is used in a variety of scientific research fields, including atmospheric science, environmental science, and material science, to study the properties of different mediums and particles within them.