Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating surfactant tail volume of a lipid

1. Apr 28, 2015 #1
    This is the general equation for the packing parameter to find out what shape the lipids arrange into:

T0aqwct.jpg

And this is what we have been given in class:

http://i.imgur.com/iGsbXHi.jpg

I'm struggling with the surfactant tail volume, v term. I understand the a is the optimal surface area of the head, but what is b?

I've looked everywhere and no where else has the b. Also if the v term has an l (critical chain length) in it then when inserted into the packing parameter equation the l's cancel and it's no longer dependant on l.

If someone could help it would be really appreciated as the lecturer has gone AWOL and doesn't reply to emails so I'm stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. May 3, 2015 #3
    Update: b is the base area

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook