1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relating Volume Charge Density and Linear Charge Density

1. Jan 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An infinite line of charge with linear density λ1 = 6.7 μC/m is positioned along the axis of a thick insulating shell of inner radius a = 2.4 cm and outer radius b = 4.7 cm. The insulating shell is uniformly charged with a volume density of ρ = -722 μC/m3.

What is λ2, the linear charge density of the insulating shell?

2. Relevant equations
    (Vouter shell-Vinner shell)*ρ <-- current one I'm using, but I could be wrong.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My approach has been to find a bridge between the two densities by relating the volume to the length, but in every attempt I've made I've run into the problem of what to do about the length variable, as the shell is infinite. This is a gauss's law problem, so I've also tried using that to get rid of length variable - however I realized I didn't have the E-field.

With the current equation I'm using, I've again run into not knowing what to do about the length of the cylindrical shell.

ETA - Okay, I've now tried this:

ρ=Q/(2pi(b2-a2)L) and Q=ρ*V=λ*L

So, λ*L=(2pi(b2-a2)L)*ρ, and the lengths will cancel

λ=(2pi(b2-a2))*ρ

Answer is wrong though.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looks right to me. What do you get numerically? Do you know what the answer is supposed to be?

4. Jan 19, 2015 #3

lightgrav

Homework Helper

There is no "2" in the Volume of a cylinder ... it is Area x Length.

5. Jan 19, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah yes - I didn't notice the 2.

6. Jan 19, 2015 #5
    I did (-722E-6)(2pi(0.0472-0.0242)) = -7.41 μC, I input -7.41 as the units were already included and the answer was wrong. I have no access to the answer.

7. Jan 19, 2015 #6
    Ah!!! I have no idea how I didn't notice that. Removed the 2 and the answer was correct. Thank you!

I must've carried the 2 around after playing with using the surface area to solve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted