Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating table's legs positioning

1. Nov 30, 2012 #1
    I have an MDF board (that corky stuff), 80x30" and 6/10" thick.

I want to make it a desk, so obviously I'm going to buy some legs from Ikea.

The leg is a regular tube, a socket and 5 screws.

Is there a way to calculate the safe distance to leave between the legs?
    I mean I could just buy three legs and put them in a triangle shape but there's no guarantee of the board not breaking on heavier objects.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2012 #2
    MDF can be moisture prone and is not meant for load bearing without lots of support. If you are using it as a desk it will sag over time with any weight. 1/2 MDF is not good desk material, it won't "break" like a solid board, but it's just not that strong.

Use 3/4" plywood and keep the span no longer than 3' between supports. Or just buy the ikea top, they usually sell them separately.

4. Nov 30, 2012 #3
    MDF can be moisture prone and is not meant for load bearing without lots of support. If you are using it as a desk it will sag over time with any weight. 1/2 MDF is not good desk material, it won't "break" like a solid board, but it's just not that strong.

Use 3/4" plywood and keep the span no longer than 3' between supports. Or just buy the ikea top, they usually sell them separately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook