Calculating the Angular Velocity of a Turntable After Blocks Are Dropped on It

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
talaroue
Messages
302
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 2.05 kg, 33.64 cm diameter turntable rotates at 365 rpm on frictionless bearings. Two 280 g blocks fall from above, hit the turntable simultaneously at opposite ends of a diagonal, and stick. What is the turntable's angular velocity, in rpm, just after this event?


Homework Equations



I= m(r^2)/2
Ki=I(w^2)/2



The Attempt at a Solution




I changed the 365 rpm to 38.22 rad/s
Then i found that the Ki=mt(r^2)(wi^2)/2
Then i found that the Kf=(mt+mb1+mb2)(r^2)(wi^2)/2)

Then i solved for wf and got the equation mt*wi^2/(the mass of the turntable and blocks). Then the square root of that and got 33.87 rad/s

Then turned 33.87 rad/s to rpm and got 323.46...Did i use the wrong I maybe? I used the I from above. and combined it with the Kinetic energy.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot assume that kinetic energy is conserved. But something else is.
 
momentuem...ahhh i see. stupid mistake on my part.