Calculating the Extension of a Spring with and without a Hanging Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter procrastin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Extension Spring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
procrastin
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
hey all, this is my first post, sorry for not introducing myself formally, but i am on a tight schedule, getting ready for my retakes.

my question is;

a 5kg monkey, initially at rest, starts climbing up the weightless rope at 0.2g. the top end of the spring is connected to a spring with k=10N/cm. what will be the extension of the spring? what will it be without the monkey?

i have done the first part of the question as follows;

0.2g + g = 1.2g
F= ma
F=5kg x 1.2g = 60N

F = -kx
x= F/-k
x = 60N/-10N/cm
x = -6cm=6cm

(please correct me if I'm wrong)

the part of the question I'm completely stuck on is the second bit; 'what will it be without the monkey?'

if anybody could point me out in the right direction with this part, it would be great. thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
procrastin said:
the part of the question I'm completely stuck on is the second bit; 'what will it be without the monkey?'
That's an odd question. Are you sure it didn't say 'what would it be without the monkey climbing?'.
 
Doc Al said:
That's an odd question. Are you sure it didn't say 'what would it be without the monkey climbing?'.

yes i am sure. it may be a typo but I'm not risking not doing it without another opinion
 
Well, without the monkey there would be no extension at all. (We're assuming that the spring is massless, of course.)
 
ok i'll solve the question with the assumption that there is a typo. do u know if the previous part of he question I've answered is correct?
 
procrastin said:
do u know if the previous part of he question I've answered is correct?
Yes, it's fine. (But I recommend thinking in terms of forces acting on the monkey, instead of directly in terms of acceleration.)
 
do u mean like this;

F1=ma=(5kg)(0.2g)
F2=mg=(5kg)(g)
Ftotal=ma+mg
x=Ftotal/-k

?
 
procrastin said:
do u mean like this;

F1=ma=(5kg)(0.2g)
F2=mg=(5kg)(g)
Ftotal=ma+mg
x=Ftotal/-k

?
I look at it like this. There are two forces acting on the monkey: the tension pulls up, the weight pulls down:

∑F = ma
T - mg = ma

Thus T = ma + mg.

And the tension is the force that extends the spring, so from Hooke's law: T = kx, or x = T/k.

Same thing, expressed a bit cleaner.