Frequency of oscillation for a hanging mass on a spring?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
subopolois
Messages
81
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


0.54 kg mass hang vertically from a spring with k= 75 Nm. If the mass is displaced 3 cm vertically and allowed to oscillate, what is the frequency of oscillation?

Homework Equations


T= 2(pi) ((sqrt)(m/K))
F= 1/T

The Attempt at a Solution


T= 2(pi) ((sqrt)(0.54/75))
= 0.5331
F= 1/0.5331
= 1.9 Hz
Now I know I didnt use the displacement, but where would I use it? This was a multiple choice question, and 1.9 Hz is an option... I just don't know if its right
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any reason the initial displacement would affect the frequency of oscillation. Do you?
 
Thats kinda what I am asking...
if the displacement were greater or smaller of the mass, would it change the frequency of oscillation? And if it does, how?
 
Larger displacement mean larger force, larger acceleration and, finally, the same time. For this reason called 'harmonic'.
 
subopolois said:
Thats kinda what I am asking...
if the displacement were greater or smaller of the mass, would it change the frequency of oscillation? And if it does, how?
No, unless Hooke's law were to no longer apply at large displacements, in which case you'd have a nonlinear problem on your hands and believe me you want nothing to do with that.