Calculating the Force of Moving Water: Vehicle Hydrodynamic Drag Equation

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Ideologue
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 28K views
Ideologue
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Does anyone know of an equation I may use to calculate the force of moving water? I am trying to theoretically workout the resistive force a vehicle would meet if it were to drive upstream (hydrodynamic drag).

I am assuming the main parameters such an equation would include are water depth, water speed, water density and the surface area of the exposed parts of the vehicle such as the portion of its tyres submerged in the stream.

Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Force=v*rate of change of mass
F=Apv^2, where p = density of water, v=velocity of water, A=surface area
 
I am wondering now if it is possible to use exactly the same equation for calculating aerodynamic drag as is used for calculating hydrodynamic drag?

Instead of using a figure for air density, a figure for water density is employed. The coefficient of drag remains the same.

What do you think?

Aerodynamic drag is: F = 0.5PV²Cdf

Where:

P = air density
V = velocity
Cd = coefficient of drag
f = frontal areaEdit: Of course the coefficient of drag would be specific to the part of the vehicle subjected to the flowing water.