1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the magnetic moment of an electron

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume that an electron is a sphere of uniform mass density
    [itex]\rho_m=\frac{m_e}{\frac{4}{3} \pi r_e^3}[/itex], uniform charge
    density [itex]\rho_e=\frac{-e}{\frac{4}{3} \pi r_e^3}[/itex], and
    radius [itex]r_e[/itex] rotating at a frequency [itex]\omega[/itex]
    about the z-axis. [tex]m_e=9.109*10^{-31}[/tex] kg and
    [tex]e=1.602*10^{-19}[/tex] C

Using the formula [tex]\vec{m}=\frac{1}{2} \int \vec{r} \times
    \vec{J(\vec{r})} d\tau[/tex], compute the magnetic moment of this
    electron. Your answer should depend on e, [tex]\omega[/tex] and
    [tex]r_e[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Given above.

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so I know that in general, [tex]\vec {J}=\rho_e \vec {v}[/tex]. I'm not sure how to proceed from here since writing J in terms of omega yields [tex]\vec {J}=\frac {\rho_e \omega}{\vec {r}}[/tex]. I've always heard that dividing by a vector is not strictly defined in a math sense. Either I'm not approaching this in the right way, or putting that funkiness into the cross product above yields some magnificence that I am, as of now, incapable of seeing.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2011 #2
    yeah integrating vectors gets really really hairy, when i get home i will help you out. There is a way to define some new quantity "C" per-say and it makes it easier

Unless someone helps you first

4. Nov 10, 2011 #3
    The assignment has already been turned in. I ended up just not using the given formula. Got the correct answer, even if not really in the correct way. Thanks though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook