1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the overall uncertainty of my measurements

1. Mar 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I conducted an experiment to find the refractive index of several concentrations of sugar solutions. I now need to find out the final uncertainty of my measurements but am unsure of how to go about calculating it.

2. Relevant equations

• I took 2 measurements of length which i estimate the uncertainty to be +/- 0.025cm (let these measurements of length be a & b)
    • I divided these two lengths and took the arctan of them: c=arctan(a/b)
    • I then placed it in this equation: 2sin(c/2+pi/6)

What happens to the uncertainty?

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not too sure with the trigonometric operators but I assume they don't do anything to the uncertainties. I am guessing that if this is true, then i just use the usual uncertainty rules of +, -, /, * ?

Thanks so much!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2010 #2
    If you don't know, or forget, the rules governing this, there is a simple way of finding out the maximum uncertainty in your calculated answer based on single measurements.
    Find the highest possible value of c using (a + uncertainty) divided by (b - uncertainty) then the lowest value by reversing the + and -
    Then put those two values into your sin expression to find the highest and lowest possible values of that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook