Calculating Uncertainty when Converting Time

In summary, the conversation is about converting time in minutes to time in hours and calculating the uncertainty for the time in hours. Two possible solutions are discussed, one involving calculating the percent uncertainty and the other simply converting the uncertainty in minutes to hours. The mistake of using 0.02% instead of 2% is pointed out and the correct solution is determined to be the simpler one of converting the uncertainty in minutes to hours.
ELLE_AW

Homework Statement

The problem asks to convert time in minutes to time in hours, and to also calculate the uncertainty for the time in hours.Specifically 10 minutes +/- 0.2min being converted to hours with uncertainty.

2. Homework Equations & 3.The attempt at a solution

conversion of time:
10.0 min x 1h/60 min = 0.167h

uncertainty of time in hours:
- 1/60 is a conversion factor, and has an uncertainty of zero
- When multiplying, you're supposed to calculate the percent uncertainty of each measure and add them up to get the percent uncertainty of the product. Then, you can apply that percent uncertainty to the product to see what the uncertainty would be.

So I did the following:

time in minutes ± 0.2 (min), therefore 0.2min/10min = 0.02%

1/60 is a conversion factor, and has zero uncertainty

Therefore, 0.02% + 0% = 0.02%, which can now be applied to the product of the sample calculation for time in hours:

0.167 x 0.02% = 0.0000334

so time in hours = 0.167 +/- 0.0000334

This answer just doesn't make sense to me though. First of all the number of decimal places between the measurement and the uncertainty don't match or even come close.

I feel like a more likely answer would be to just convert 0.2 min (the uncertainty of time in minutes) to hours ( 0.2 min x 1h/60min = 0.003h) and then just have that be the uncertainty for hours, since the conversion factor does not play any role here.

So my final answer would be Time in Hours:
0.167 h +/- 0.003I've BOLDED both of my answers. Which one do you guys think makes more sense and why?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
0.2 is 2 % of 10, not 0.02 %.

Orodruin said:
0.2 is 2 % of 10, not 0.02 %.
Hahaha, oh wow. I'm definitely tired today. That explains everything. Thanks!

Sometimes you stare at a problem for so long that the obvious solution becomes invisible to you...

Likes ELLE_AW

1. What is uncertainty when converting time?

Uncertainty when converting time refers to the potential error or deviation in the measured or calculated time value. It is a measure of how confident we are in the accuracy of the converted time value.

2. How is uncertainty calculated when converting time?

Uncertainty when converting time is calculated by taking into account the uncertainty in the initial time value, as well as the uncertainty in the conversion factor or formula used to convert the time units.

3. What factors can contribute to uncertainty when converting time?

There are several factors that can contribute to uncertainty when converting time, such as the precision of the measuring instrument, human error in reading or recording the time value, and the accuracy of the conversion formula or factor.

4. How can uncertainty be minimized when converting time?

To minimize uncertainty when converting time, it is important to use precise measuring instruments and carefully record time values. Additionally, using reliable and accurate conversion formulas or factors can also help reduce uncertainty.

5. Can uncertainty be completely eliminated when converting time?

No, uncertainty cannot be completely eliminated when converting time. There will always be some degree of error or deviation in the converted time value, no matter how precise the measuring instruments or conversion formulas are.