Calculating the Potential of a Collapsing Droplet: A Scientific Approach

  • Thread starter Thread starter gracy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Potential
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
23 replies · 4K views
gracy
Messages
2,486
Reaction score
83

Homework Statement


A conducting bubble of radius a, thickness t(t<<a) has potential V. Now the bubble collapses into a droplet. Find the potential of the droplet.

Homework Equations


Potential at the surface of bubble=##V##=##\frac{Kq}{a}##

The Attempt at a Solution


Potential at the surface of bubble=##V##=##\frac{Kq}{a}##
bubble collapses into droplet.Let the radius of droplet to be R. Volume of droplet should be same as of bubble.
volume of droplet=##\frac{4}{3}####πR^3##
volume of bubble =##\frac{4}{3}####πa^3##
##\frac{4}{3}####πR^3##=##\frac{4}{3}####πa^3##
Am I right till here?I don't think so,because I have not used thickness t anywhere.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:

Homework Statement


A conducting bubble of radius a, thickness t(t<<a) has potential V. Now the bubble collapses into a droplet. Find the potential of the droplet.

Homework Equations


Potential at the surface of bubble=##V##=##\frac{Kq}{a}##

The Attempt at a Solution


Potential at the surface of bubble=##V##=##\frac{Kq}{a}##
bubble collapses into droplet.Let the radius of droplet to be R. Volume of droplet should be same as of bubble.
volume of droplet=##\frac{4}{3}####πR^3##
volume of bubble =##\frac{4}{3}####πa^3##
##\frac{4}{3}####πR^3##=##\frac{4}{3}####πa^3##
Am I right till here?I don't think so,because I have not used thickness t anywhere.
No. The bubble is a shell of thickness t. Its volume is not the same as the volume of the enclosed sphere.
 
ehild said:
Its volume is not the same as the volume of the enclosed sphere.
Volume of bubble=##(4πa^2)t ##?
 
gracy said:
Volume of bubble=##(4πa^2)t ##?
Yes, when t<<a and a is the radius of the bubble.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gracy
I have just guessed it !Is formula of volume of a shell is (4πradius squared)multiplied by thickness?
 
To calculate the exact volume of material comprising the bubble wall, you would use "outer sphere's volume minus inner sphere's volume".
 
Whenever thickness <<radius ,I should apply the below formula
(4πradius squared)multiplied by thickness?
And in case of droplet as nothing such is mentioned we will take as usual formula of volume 4/3 πr^3,right?
 
gracy said:
I have just guessed it !Is formula of volume of a shell is (4πradius squared)multiplied by thickness?
That sounds like a good way to approximate it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gracy
gracy said:
Volume of droplet should be same as of bubble.
##\frac{4}{3}####πR^3##=##(4πa^2)####t##

##R^3##=##3a^2####t##

##R##=(##3a^2####t##)^1/3 ...... . hope I have written it correctly

potential of bubble=V(has been given)

potential of droplet =V'(have to find)

= ##\frac{V'}{V}##=##\frac{Kq}{R}## ÷ ##\frac{Kq}{a}##= ##\frac{Kq}{(3a^2t)^1/3}## ÷ ##\frac{Kq}{a}##

= ##\frac{a}{(3a^2t)^1/3}##

I don't know how to cancel these two
 
gracy said:
= ##\frac{V'}{V}##=##\frac{Kq}{R}## ÷ ##\frac{Kq}{a}##= ##\frac{Kq}{(3a^2t)^1/3}## ÷ ##\frac{Kq}{a}##

= ##\frac{a}{(3a^2t)^1/3}##

I don't know how to cancel these two
What do you want to cancel? You can simplify. Expand the power of 1/3
 
ehild said:
You can simplify
Yes.I don't know how to do that
 
gracy said:
Yes.I don't know how to do that
expand the denominator
 
ehild said:
expand the denominator
That is my problem.I don't know how to expand the denominator.Because numerator is only "a "we are not going to do anything with it.
Can not we cancel "a "

##\frac{a}{(3a^2t)^1/3}##=##\frac{1}{(3at)^1/3}##
 
You do not cancel a. It stays in the formula. Post #14 is wrong. How do you rise a product to a power? How do you divide powers of a?
 
You cancel when ##\frac{a}{a}=1##. Not when ##\frac{a}{a^{2/3}}\neq 1##.

Try, as an example, ##a=8##.
 
##\frac{a}{(3a^2t)^1/3}##=##\frac{a}{(3t)^1/3(a)^2\3}##
Or if it is not clear
L.png
 
##\frac{a}{a^{2/3}}##

=##a##×##{a^{-2/3}}##

=##{a^{1/3}}##
 
gracy said:
##\frac{a}{a^{2/3}}##

=##a##×##{a^{-2/3}}## =##{a^{1/3}}## ##\color{red}{✓}##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gracy
We were asked to find potential of droplet (V')

##\frac{V'}{V}##=##(\frac{a}{3t})####^{1/3}##

##V'##=##V####(\frac{a}{3t})####^{1/3}##

Right?
 
gracy said:
We were asked to find potential of droplet (V')

##\frac{V'}{V}##=##(\frac{a}{3t})####^{1/3}##

##V'##=##V####(\frac{a}{3t})####^{1/3}##

Right?
[emoji106]
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gracy