Combustion of an explosive liquid bubble

In summary, the problem involves finding the required radius of a spherical bubble filled with water vapour to ignite spontaneously at a given temperature, after adiabatic compression caused by a mechanical shock. The solution involves using the ideal gas law and integrating to find the final radius. The final answer is 1.092 mm.
DarkSkinDude
Homework Statement
An explosive liquid at temperature 300 K contains a spherical bubble of radius 5 mm, full of its vapour. When a mechanical shock to the liquid causes adiabatic compression of the bubble, what radius of the bubble is required for combustion of the vapour, given that the vapour ignites spontaneously at 1100 degrees C? The ratio of [itex]C_V/(nR)[/itex] is 3.0 for the vapour
Relevant Equations
[tex]\frac{dP}{P}+\gamma\frac{dV}{V}=0, \ \gamma=\frac{C_P}{C_V} [/tex]
Problem Statement: An explosive liquid at temperature 300 K contains a spherical bubble of radius 5 mm, full of its vapour. When a mechanical shock to the liquid causes adiabatic compression of the bubble, what radius of the bubble is required for combustion of the vapour, given that the vapour ignites spontaneously at 1100 degrees C? The ratio of [itex]C_V/(nR)[/itex] is 3.0 for the vapour
Relevant Equations: [tex]\frac{dP}{P}+\gamma\frac{dV}{V}=0, \ \gamma=\frac{C_P}{C_V} [/tex]

Hey guys, I tried to solve this problem, got stuck, and noticed there weren't any threads with a solution. I ended up solving it shortly and so decided to share.

In this problem we consider a reversible adiabatic change happening to an ideal gas (the water vapour bubble). To solve this, we start with the following:

The question involves the relationship between the volume and temperature of the bubble.
Since its an ideal gas, we can substitute [itex]P=\frac{nRT}{V}[/itex] into the above equation, resulting in:

[tex]-\frac{dV}{V}(\gamma-1)=\frac{dT}{T}[/tex]

We are given a value for the ratio: [itex]C_V/(nR)=3[/itex]. Using the fact that [itex]C_P=nR+C_V [/itex], this ratio is found in the above constant:

[tex] \gamma-1=\frac{C_P}{C_V}-1=\frac{C_V+nR}{C_V}-1=\frac{nR}{C_V}=1/3 [/tex]

The bubble is spherical, so we substitute [itex] V=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3[/itex] and then integrate both sides from their initial values to their final values:

[tex] -3\frac{nR}{C_V}\int_{r_i}^{r_f}\frac{dr}{r}=\int^{T_f}_{T_i}\frac{dT}{T}[/tex]

The constant on the LHS becomes -1 due to the value given for [itex]C_V/(nR)[/itex].
Evaluating the integrals and isolating for the final radius [itex]r_f[/itex], we get:

[tex]\frac{T_i}{T_f}r_i=r_f[/tex]

Plugging in [itex]r_i=5 \ mm[/itex], [itex]T_i=300 \ K[/itex], [itex]T_f=(1100+273) \ K=1373 \ K[/itex], we get our final answer of:

[tex]r_f=1.092 \ mm[/tex]

Thus, the vapour bubble must be compressed to 1.092 mm for the vapour to ignite spontaneously.

Physics news on Phys.org
DarkSkinDude said:
Problem Statement: An explosive liquid at temperature 300 K contains a spherical bubble of radius 5 mm, full of its vapour. When a mechanical shock to the liquid causes adiabatic compression of the bubble, what radius of the bubble is required for combustion of the vapour, given that the vapour ignites spontaneously at 1100 degrees C? The ratio of [itex]C_V/(nR)[/itex] is 3.0 for the vapour
Relevant Equations: [tex]\frac{dP}{P}+\gamma\frac{dV}{V}=0, \ \gamma=\frac{C_P}{C_V} [/tex]

Hey guys, I tried to solve this problem, got stuck, and noticed there weren't any threads with a solution. I ended up solving it shortly and so decided to share.

In this problem we consider a reversible adiabatic change happening to an ideal gas (the water vapour bubble). To solve this, we start with the following:

The question involves the relationship between the volume and temperature of the bubble.
Since its an ideal gas, we can substitute [itex]P=\frac{nRT}{V}[/itex] into the above equation, resulting in:

[tex]-\frac{dV}{V}(\gamma-1)=\frac{dT}{T}[/tex]

We are given a value for the ratio: [itex]C_V/(nR)=3[/itex]. Using the fact that [itex]C_P=nR+C_V [/itex], this ratio is found in the above constant:

[tex] \gamma-1=\frac{C_P}{C_V}-1=\frac{C_V+nR}{C_V}-1=\frac{nR}{C_V}=1/3 [/tex]

The bubble is spherical, so we substitute [itex] V=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3[/itex] and then integrate both sides from their initial values to their final values:

[tex] -3\frac{nR}{C_V}\int_{r_i}^{r_f}\frac{dr}{r}=\int^{T_f}_{T_i}\frac{dT}{T}[/tex]

The constant on the LHS becomes -1 due to the value given for [itex]C_V/(nR)[/itex].
Evaluating the integrals and isolating for the final radius [itex]r_f[/itex], we get:

[tex]\frac{T_i}{T_f}r_i=r_f[/tex]

Plugging in [itex]r_i=5 \ mm[/itex], [itex]T_i=300 \ K[/itex], [itex]T_f=(1100+273) \ K=1373 \ K[/itex], we get our final answer of:

[tex]r_f=1.092 \ mm[/tex]

Thus, the vapour bubble must be compressed to 1.092 mm for the vapour to ignite spontaneously.
Hi @DarkSkinDude and welcome to PF.

Thank you for your post. I agree with your solution which I got without integrating by observing that $$T~V^{\gamma-1}=const.$$ for an adiabatic process. Since you know the initial volume and temperature, you know the value of the constant.

Hi @kuruman, thanks for your reply.

Hahaha looks like I overthought this one a little too much. Of course if [itex] TV^{\gamma-1}=const.[/itex]
then since [itex]\gamma-1=1/3[/itex], it immediately follows that:

[tex] \frac{T_1}{T_2}=\frac{r_2}{r_1}[/tex]

I like this solution better. Nice and Clean.

1. What is combustion of an explosive liquid bubble?

Combustion of an explosive liquid bubble is a process in which an explosive liquid, such as gasoline or nitroglycerin, is rapidly heated and transformed into gas, creating a bubble of highly pressurized gas. This gas bubble then rapidly expands and explodes, releasing energy in the form of heat, light, and sound.

2. How does combustion of an explosive liquid bubble occur?

In order for combustion of an explosive liquid bubble to occur, there must be a source of heat to ignite the liquid, such as a spark or flame. Once ignited, the liquid rapidly vaporizes and forms a gas bubble, which then expands and explodes due to the intense pressure and heat generated by the combustion process.

3. What factors influence the combustion of an explosive liquid bubble?

The combustion of an explosive liquid bubble is influenced by several factors, including the type and quantity of explosive liquid, the temperature and pressure of the surrounding environment, and the presence of any impurities or additives in the liquid. The shape and size of the bubble can also impact the intensity and duration of the explosion.

4. What are the potential hazards of combustion of an explosive liquid bubble?

The combustion of an explosive liquid bubble can be extremely dangerous, as it produces a rapid and powerful explosion. This can result in severe burns, injuries, and even death if proper safety precautions are not taken. In addition, the explosion can also cause damage to nearby structures and property.

5. How is the combustion of an explosive liquid bubble used in scientific research or industrial applications?

The combustion of an explosive liquid bubble is commonly used in scientific research to study the properties and behavior of explosive materials. It is also used in industrial applications, such as in the production of certain chemicals or in the development of new propulsion systems for rockets and missiles. However, strict safety protocols must be followed when working with explosive liquids to prevent accidents and injuries.