1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the potential of a uniformily charged spherical solid

1. Sep 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the potential inside and outside uniformily charged spherical solid whose radius R and whose total charge is q.use infinity as your reference point

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]V=-\int E* dl[/tex]

gauss law = [tex] \int E *da=q/\epsilon_ 0[/tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution

This should be easy. Inside a solid sphere, E=0 so the potential inside sphere is zero. The electric field of a sphere is : [tex] E_sphere=(1/(4*\pi*\epsilon_ 0))*q/R^2 [/tex] => [tex] V=-(1/(4*\pi*\epsilon_ 0))*q/R[/tex]. Hmm... my solution is too easy; I know this solution was worked out in one of the examples found in my textbooks. Should I apply gauss law I take into account that [tex] dq=\rho*d\tau=\sigma*da[/tex] where [tex] d\tau=(4/3)*\pi R^3 [/tex]and[tex] da=4*\pi*r^2[/tex] ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2009 #2
    The electric field is only zero inside a conducting sphere. This is because all the charge migrates to the surface and it acts likes a hollow charged shell. In the question it does not say the sphere is conducting, it says it is uniformly charged. Therefore it must be acting as an insulating sphere, because a conducting sphere is not uniformly charged. Work it out assuming there is a field inside and you will get the right answer.

Also the potential inside a conducting sphere won't be zero, it will assume the value of the potential at the surface of the sphere.

4. Sep 19, 2009 #3
    I think I got it; for r>R, E(4*pi*r^2)=rho*(4/3*pi*R^3)/epilison_0 => and for R<r E(4*pi*r^2)==rho*(4/3*pi*R^3)/epilison_0

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  5. Sep 20, 2009 #4
    Yep that looks right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook