1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the rest mass of Ra [simple ]

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    Calculating the rest mass of Ra [simple!!]

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the rest mass of 226/88 Ra.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    There are 88 protons and 138 neutrons.
    Therefore, (88*1.007276)+(138*1.008665)=227.8361u
    But the answer says 226.0254u.
    It also says 4/2 He is 4.0026u while my calculation is 4.0319u.

HELP~ :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2012 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Re: Calculating the rest mass of Ra [simple!!]

The measured mass of an intact atomic nucleus is generally less than the masses of the individual nucleons (neutrons and protons) added together. The difference is called a "mass defect", and it's the result of "binding energy" that was radiated out and lost during creation of the atomic nucleus. The loss of that energy leads to a lowering of the potential energy of the bound nucleus, and therefore a more stable state (that needs an input of energy to break it up again). The binding energy is related to the mass defect by E = mc^2, so even a small mass defect leads to a large figure for the binding energy (c^2 is a large factor).

So it's to be expected that the mass of the whole nuclei are slightly lower than you calculated. What I can't figure out is how you're supposed to "calculate" the mass of the nuclei, since I thought that those are usually empirically measured (and the mass defect, and binding energy are the calculated quantities).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook