1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the saturation magnetic moment (Condensed Matter)

1. May 15, 2014 #1
    Show that the experimental data are consistent with a Lande g factor of 2 for each of the ions by calculating the saturation magnetic moment. Explain what this means for Cr.

I've calculated J using Hunds rules and have the equation M = gμJn, where M is the saturation magnetic moment. BUT what do I use for n? i'm only given the number of electrons in a shell for each ion. Also would you think it wants me to determine g OR use a g value of 2 to determine M?

any pointers REALLY appreciated on this, the exam is fast approaching.

thanks.

Attached Files:

• fff.JPG
      fff.JPG
      File size:
      13.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2014 #2
    it's okay, got it! the questions axis is M/Nu vs B/T, i can rearrange to find g

edit no i cant because the gradient isnt given in the question

edit dont need the gradient, the y axis is M/Nu therefor just read where it saturates and put equal to Jg

done

Last edited: May 15, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted