Calculating the Speed of a Dropped Rock on Mars

  • Thread starter Thread starter kmiller
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mars Rock
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
kmiller
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



An astronaut on Mars drops a rock straight downward from a height of 0.90 m. If the acceleration of gravity on Mars is 3.73 m/s2, what is the speed of the rock when it lands?
find m/s

The Attempt at a Solution



.90m/3.73m/s2=.2413
squareroot .2413=.491

.90m+1/2(3.73m/s2)(.491)
=1.816m/s
it was wrong what equation am i suppose to use?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There is an easier equation that you can use : Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2ad.

Also, just a suggestion, it's a lot easier to help you when you put units on your answers.
 
I got the right answer I think I am just having a hard time with what equations I have to use.