Calculating the Speed on a Roller Coaster

In summary, the conversation discussed the thrill of roller coasters and how the change in acceleration is what excites people. A roller coaster designer has decided to make the first 75m of the track bumpy, with the first 49m at a 17 degree angle and the next 28m at a 26 degree angle. Assuming the riders start with a speed of 0 m/s, the final speed after riding the bumpy track is approximately 23 m/s. The calculation was done using the expression v = √(2gh), which represents the overall change in height.
ilovemynny

Homework Statement

While most people like high speeds on roller coasters, it is actually the change in acceleration that thrills them. To add more thrills to a ride, a roller coaster designer has decided to make the downward descent from his first hill bumpy. The first 49 m of the track will be at an angle of 17 degrees , while the next 28 m will be at a 26 degrees angle. (Both angles measured from the horizontal.) Assuming that the riders started with a speed of 0 m/s at the top of the hill, calculate their speed after they have ridden the first 75m of track?

Homework Equations

H x sin = y

The Attempt at a Solution

H x sin = y
Y = 49 x sin 17
Y = 14 m
V = 2 x g x h, square root
V = 2 x 9.81 x 14, square root
V = 274.68, square root
V = 16.6 m/s

H x sin = y
Y = 28 x sin 26
Y = 12 m
V = 2 x g x h, square root
V = 2 x 9.81 x 12, square root
V = 235.44, square root
V = 15.3 m/s

15.3m/s + 16.6m/s = 31.9m/s
Final Speed: 31.9m/s

I was wondering if I did this problem right, and if not how am I supposed to solve it?:confused:

p.s. when i write, square root that means there is a square root in the equation :tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
You did not do it right. The expression

[tex]v=\sqrt{2gh}[/tex]

works only if the initial speed vo is zero. So the first part of the calculation is correct but not the second. If I were you, I would use the overall change in height h in that expression and do it in one step. As long as the height change is the same, the specifics of the path do not matter. That's the beauty of mechanical energy conservation.

so then would it be like this:
75 x 2x 9.81, square root
1471.5, square root
and the final velocity is 38 m/s

ilovemynny said:
so then would it be like this:
75 x 2x 9.81, square root
1471.5, square root
and the final velocity is 38 m/s
Where did 75 come from in your expression?

it says calculate their speed after they have ridden the first 75m of track, and then you said it would be better to use the overall height

I said change in height, not distance traveled along the track. You need to calculate the overall change in height which you have already done. What do 14 m and 12 m represent?

ohhh okay 14 and 12 m represented the height
so then:
14 +12 = 26
so then 26 x 2 x 9.81 = 510
square root of 510 = 23m/s

so is 23 m/s the final velocity?

That looks about right, I got 22.8 m/s.

YES! thank you so much!

What is the formula for calculating the speed on a roller coaster?

The formula for calculating the speed on a roller coaster is s = √(2gh), where s is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the roller coaster.

Do all roller coasters have the same speed?

No, the speed of a roller coaster depends on various factors such as the height of the coaster, the shape of the track, and the amount of friction present. Different roller coasters can have significantly different speeds.

How is the speed of a roller coaster measured?

The speed of a roller coaster is typically measured using a device called a speedometer or by using a stopwatch and measuring the time it takes for the roller coaster to travel a certain distance. In modern roller coasters, speed can also be measured using sensors and computer technology.

What is the fastest speed a roller coaster can reach?

The fastest speed a roller coaster can reach depends on its design and other factors. Some roller coasters can reach speeds of over 100 mph, while others may only reach speeds of around 30 mph.

Is the speed of a roller coaster constant throughout the ride?

No, the speed of a roller coaster is not constant throughout the ride. It changes depending on the shape and angle of the track, the forces of gravity and friction, and other factors. Roller coasters typically reach their maximum speed at the bottom of a drop and slow down as they go up hills.