Calculating the Tension in Cables for Elevator Movement

In summary, an 85kg piece of machinery is being moved between floors in a building using two identical small cranes. Each crane is connected to the machinery by a cable at different angles. With an upward acceleration of 0.2ms^-2, the tension in each cable can be found by using Newton's laws and breaking up the tension forces into their horizontal and vertical components. By solving the resulting equations, the tension forces in each cable can be determined.
hayley123
a hevy piece of macinery(85kg) is being moved by elevator between floors in a building. Two identical small cranes are used. a cable connects each 'crane' to a mounting hook on the top of the piece of equipment. the cable from one crane is at an angle of 22degrees below the horizontal while the cable from the other hangs at 40 degrees. find the tension in each cable if the elevator is accelerating upwards at a constant 0.2ms^-2. and i need to include a vector diagram

Homework Equations

im thinking ticos22-t2cos40-0
ti=N/sin22something

The Attempt at a Solution

i drew a picture of what i thought it might look like and I am honestly so baffled.

Physics news on Phys.org

The equipment is being held up by 2 cables at the angles noted. It is not in contact with the floor. The horiz comp of each cable tension force acting on the equipment uses the cos function as I think you were addressing. There's no acc in x direction, so Newton 1 applies in that direction. Now in the vert direction, what are the vert comp of each tension force, and what other force acts in the vert direction? Use Newton 2 in that dir. Solve the resulting equations.

omg I am still confused haha but ill go through what you said step by step and see how i go thanks

ok so far i did f=ma
F=85x9.8-0.2m/s-2
F=812N
so that's the force acting on the cables yeah?

108N i mean

ah nah I am way off i think

You need to draw a free body diagram sketch that shows all forces acting on the equipment...its weight acting down and the 2 tension forces acting upwards at the given angles. Break up each tension force into its x and y components. Note directions.

In the x direction, apply Newton 1, and in the y direction, apply Newton 2. You are not correctly using Newton's laws. In the y direction, for example, Newton 2 says that the net force in that direction is equal to product of the mass times its acceleration in that direction. The net force in the y direction is the algebraic sum of the weight and vert comps of the tension forces. Set that net force equal to ma... i don't see any equal signs in your incorrect equation. You then have to look in the x direction as well to get another equation (using F_net = 0 in that direction), and solve the 2 simultaneous equations for the unknown tension forces.

ah ty ty ty think I've got it now thanks heaps for your help.

1. How do you calculate the tension in cables for elevator movement?

To calculate the tension in cables for elevator movement, you need to know the weight of the elevator and its maximum capacity, as well as the angle of the cable. Then, you can use the formula T = (W + F) / cosθ, where T is the tension, W is the weight of the elevator, F is the force needed to move the elevator, and θ is the angle of the cable.

2. What factors affect the tension in elevator cables?

The tension in elevator cables is affected by the weight of the elevator and its maximum capacity, the angle of the cable, the friction between the cable and the pulley system, and the acceleration and deceleration of the elevator.

3. How does the angle of the cable affect the tension in elevator cables?

The angle of the cable directly affects the tension in elevator cables. As the angle increases, the tension also increases. This is because a steeper angle requires a greater force to lift the elevator, resulting in a higher tension in the cables.

4. What is the maximum tension that elevator cables can withstand?

The maximum tension that elevator cables can withstand depends on the type and strength of the cables used. However, in general, elevator cables are designed to withstand at least five times the maximum expected tension to ensure safety and prevent the cables from breaking.

5. How do you ensure the tension in elevator cables is within safe limits?

To ensure the tension in elevator cables is within safe limits, engineers and technicians conduct regular maintenance checks on the cables and monitor the tension using specialized equipment. They also factor in the weight and capacity of the elevator and follow safety regulations and standards in the installation and operation of the elevator system.