What is the tension in the cable of an accelerated elevator?

In summary: Newton's second law, or Newton 2. The equation represents the relationship between force (F), mass (m), and acceleration (a). In this problem, we are using it to find the tension (F) in the cable, given the mass (m) and acceleration (a).
seanmcgowan

Homework Statement

An elevator weighing 2.00 X10^5 N is supported by a steel cable. What is the tension in the cable when the elevator is accelerated upward at a rate of 3.00m/s^2? (g=9.81m/s^2)

Homework Equations

I realize this is probably a very simple problem, but neither my textbook, nor 2 days of searching the web have produced any help. How do I figure this problem out?

The Attempt at a Solution

First I drew an elevator with a cable. In side I put the weight (2.00 * 10^5 N) with an arow pointing down. On the outside I put an the speed (3.00m/s^2) with an up arrow. Then I planed a down arrow with the the amount of gravity (9.81m/s^2). The speed is a positive direction, so i placed a plus sign in front, +3.00m/s^2. For the weight and gravity, since they were negative values, I used a negative sign, -2.00 * 10^5 N, -9.81m/s^2.

From here I wasn't sure what to do, so I added the the factors with the same units. I came up with +3.00 + (-9.81)= -6.81m/s^2. The I multiplied this value by -2.00 * 10^5 N. The answer I came up with is 1.362*10^6 N.

I'm almost positive that it is wrong but I am not sure what else to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
seanmcgowan said:

Homework Statement

An elevator weighing 2.00 X10^5 N is supported by a steel cable. What is the tension in the cable when the elevator is accelerated upward at a rate of 3.00m/s^2? (g=9.81m/s^2)

Homework Equations

I realize this is probably a very simple problem, but neither my textbook, nor 2 days of searching the web have produced any help. How do I figure this problem out?

The Attempt at a Solution

First I drew an elevator with a cable. In side I put the weight (2.00 * 10^5 N) with an arow pointing down.
good start.
On the outside I put an the speed (3.00m/s^2) with an up arrow.
you mean acceleration of 3m/s^2, not speed.
Then I planed a down arrow with the the amount of gravity (9.81m/s^2).
No, don't do this. The acceleration is given as 3m/s^2 up. Gravity effects are already included in the weight.
The speed you mean acceleration is a positive direction, so i placed a plus sign in front, +3.00m/s^2. For the weight and gravity, since they were negative values, I used a negative sign, -2.00 * 10^5 N, -9.81m/s^2.
delete the word 'gravity', and the number '-9.81m/s^2', from this sentence.
From here I wasn't sure what to do, so I added the the factors with the same units. I came up with +3.00 + (-9.81)= -6.81m/s^2. The I multiplied this value by -2.00 * 10^5 N. The answer I came up with is 1.362*10^6 N.

I'm almost positive that it is wrong but I am not sure what else to do.
Try Newton 2, where F_net, which must be in the upward direction, is the algebraic sum of the upward tension force and the downward weight force.

so i don't have to worry about the effects of gravity at all in this equation?

seanmcgowan said:
so i don't have to worry about the effects of gravity at all in this equation?
the weight, which is given, is the force caused by the acceleration of gravity acting on its mass; it's not that you shouldn't be concerned with it, it's rather that its effects are already considered in the problem , since the weight is a given quantity. What you need now to know is the mass of the elevator. What formula relates weight and mass?

Expanding on what Jay said a bit to help you understand:

Using Newton 2 you'll see that (using Ef=ma) you have 2 opposing forces from your force diagram, the weight (mg) and the tension in the cable (your unknown). You had the weight pointing down, which was good, now realize that the tension is pointing up.

So using Newton 2:

Ef=ma -----> (insert your upward force) - (insert your downward force) = ma

The accel. was given to you, as was the mass.
Now you have everything you need to solve for the tension.

You can approach lots of problems this way by analyzing your free body diagram.

ok, what is Newton 2? do you mean Newton's second law? or am i missing the point completely?

seanmcgowan said:
ok, what is Newton 2? do you mean Newton's second law? or am i missing the point completely?

Yes, Newtons second law ,Ef=ma

Related to What is the tension in the cable of an accelerated elevator?

1. What causes tension in an elevator cable?

The weight of the elevator car and its occupants causes tension in the elevator cable. As the elevator moves up and down, the cable stretches and contracts to support the weight. Additionally, the acceleration and deceleration of the elevator also contribute to tension in the cable.

2. Is tension in an elevator cable dangerous?

In most cases, tension in an elevator cable is not dangerous. Elevator cables are designed to withstand high levels of tension and are regularly inspected and maintained to ensure their safety. However, if the tension in the cable becomes too high and exceeds its breaking point, it can result in a cable failure.

3. How is tension in an elevator cable measured?

Tension in an elevator cable is measured using a device called a dynamometer. This device measures the force being exerted on the cable and provides a reading in pounds or kilograms. Elevator technicians use this measurement to ensure that the cable is within its safe working load range.

4. Can tension in an elevator cable be adjusted?

Yes, tension in an elevator cable can be adjusted. Elevator technicians can adjust the tension by adding or removing weight from the elevator car, changing the number of cables supporting the car, or adjusting the tensioning mechanism on the elevator motor. It is important for a qualified technician to make these adjustments to ensure the safety and proper functioning of the elevator.

5. How often should tension in an elevator cable be checked?

Tension in an elevator cable should be checked at least once a year during a routine maintenance inspection. However, if the elevator experiences heavy usage or is showing signs of tension issues, it may need to be checked more frequently. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and have a qualified technician perform the inspections and adjustments.