Calculating the Total Length of a Spring with Varying Masses

  • Thread starter Thread starter Punchlinegirl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Spring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 16K views
Punchlinegirl
Messages
221
Reaction score
0
A 6.00 kg mass suspended from a spring with spring constant, k = 975.0 N/m, extends it to a total length of 0.250 m. Find the total length of the spring when a 15.20 kg mass is suspended from it.
I drew the free body diagram to get,
ma= kx- mg.. since a= 0, kx=mg
solving for x gave me mg/k
So I did (6.00)(9.8)/ 975.0 = .0603 m
Then I did (15.2)(9.8)/ 975.0 = .153 m
I didn't really know where to go from here.. do I subtract the values? Or am I even going about this in the right way?
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Punchlinegirl said:
A 6.00 kg mass suspended from a spring with spring constant, k = 975.0 N/m, extends it to a total length of 0.250 m.
Hint: Find the unstretched length of the spring.
 
so to find the unstretched length I use Hooke's Law
F= -kd
So it would be like what I had before, mg/k= d
(6.00)(9.8)/ 975 = .0603
since the total length is .250, I do .250-.0603 to get .1990 m.
Is this right?