Calculating the Year Length of Planet Y Around Alpha

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
jnimagine
Messages
176
Reaction score
0
Planet X orbits the star Alpha with a 'year' that is 200 Earth days long. Planet Y circles Alpha at nine times the distance of planet X. How long is a year on planet Y?

I know that I have to use the kepler's law : T^2 = (4pi^2/GM)r^3
but I'm not too sure how to do solve this...
Please help!
Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jnimagine said:
Planet X orbits the star Alpha with a 'year' that is 200 Earth days long. Planet Y circles Alpha at nine times the distance of planet X. How long is a year on planet Y?

I know that I have to use the kepler's law : T^2 = (4pi^2/GM)r^3
but I'm not too sure how to do solve this...
Please help!
Thanks.
Wikipedia said:
The third law : "The squares of the orbital periods of planets are directly proportional to the cubes of the axes of the orbits."

So T12/r13 = T22/r23