Calculating the Year Length of a Gak Planet

In summary, the conversation discusses a Gak, a type of alien living on a planet in another galaxy. The Gak measures the force of attraction between his planet and its sun, which has an average distance of 6.85 × 10^8 km. Using Kepler's 3rd law, the Gak calculates that a year on his planet is approximately 9499 Earth years. However, there may be an error in the formula used, as the "M" variable should represent the mass of the sun rather than the planet.
Stevemotto
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Question: A Gak it a type of alien that lives on a planet in another galaxy. One day a Gak decides to find out a little more about his planet. He drops a ball (it starts at rest) with a mass of 6.18 kg and notes that it takes 0.928 s to fall a distance of 8.37 m.
The Gak’s planet orbits its sun in a roughly circular orbit. The average distance to the Gak’s sun is 6.85 × 10^8 km. The Gak measures the force of attraction between his planet and his Sun and finds that this is 2.89 × 10^20 N.

How long is a year on the Gak’s planet?My Attempt:

So I started with the formula T^2 = 4(pi^2)(R^3)/GM

R = 6.85*10^8 (from avg distance)

Since on a previous question I found the mass of Gak's planet to be M = 2.12*10^24 (and got it right). Subbing it in & all relevant variables;

So; T^2 = 4(pi^2)(6.85*10^11)^3/(6.67*10^-11)(2.12*10^24)

T = 2.9956*10^11
Then multiply this by 1/(60*60*24*365) for Earth Years, I get;

T = 9499 yrs

And this is apparently wrong...

Can someone tell me what I did wrong? I'm starting to suspect that R didn't include the radius of the planets and I might need to add it in... I've attached the quiz for reference.

Attachments

• sigh.png
    sigh.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 384
  • sigh 2.png
    sigh 2.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you are using all the right variables in the formula for Kepler's law?

I believe so from my understanding.

Stevemotto said:
I believe so from my understanding.

Why did you use ##M = ## mass of the planet?

Isn't the "M" variable the mass of the planet?

Stevemotto said:
Isn't the "M" variable the mass of the planet?

In Kepler's 3rd law, no. A planet's orbit is independent of its mass.

Likes Stevemotto
Oh it's the mass of the sun...

What is a Gak planet?

A Gak planet is a hypothetical planet that is used in scientific studies and calculations. It is not a real planet, but rather a theoretical construct that allows scientists to explore different scenarios and possibilities.

How is the year length of a Gak planet calculated?

The year length of a Gak planet is calculated by using the planet's orbital period, which is the time it takes for the planet to make one complete orbit around its star. This can be determined by measuring the planet's distance from its star and its orbital speed.

Why is calculating the year length of a Gak planet important?

Calculating the year length of a Gak planet can provide valuable insights into the planet's climate, habitability, and potential for life. It can also help scientists understand how planetary systems form and evolve.

What factors can affect the year length of a Gak planet?

The year length of a Gak planet can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the size and mass of the planet, the distance from its star, and the eccentricity of its orbit. Other factors, such as the presence of other planets in the system, can also play a role.

How does the year length of a Gak planet compare to Earth's year length?

The year length of a Gak planet can vary greatly depending on its specific characteristics. However, it is likely that the year length of a Gak planet would be significantly longer or shorter than Earth's year length, as Gak planets are typically much larger or smaller than Earth.