Calculating Total Power Output of a Speaker at a Given Distance

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 9K views
FunkyFrap
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A speaker emits sound waves in all directions, and at a distance of 28 m from it the intensity level is 73 db. What is the total power put out by the speaker, in watts? ( reference intensity [itex]I_{0}[/itex] is 1.0 × 10-12 W/m2.)

Homework Equations


[itex]P= I*A[/itex]
[itex]I = I_{0}*10^{B/10}[/itex]
[itex]SA = 4*pi*r^{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


Since we're looking for the total power of the speaker, I first used equation 2 to find the intensity, [itex]I[/itex]. For [itex]B = 73 db[/itex] and [itex]I_{0} = 10^{-12} W*m^{-2}[/itex] I obtained [itex]I = 2*10^{-5} W*m^{-2}[/itex] .

Then the area is [itex]A = 4*pi*(28)^{2} m^{2} = 9852.03 m^{2}[/itex]

Therefore, the total Power is
[itex]P = I*A = 0.197 W[/itex]

So that's my attempt but I'm still not entirely confident in that answer. I'm not too sure if the Area equation I'm using is correct. It says in all directions hence why I used surface area but now I'm thinking it's [itex]A = pi*r^2[/itex].

Is that right? Or was the surface area equation the correct one to use?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You were correct in your original calculation. Is there a reason why you were thinking that maybe you should use the area of a circle rather than the surface area of a sphere?
 
TSny said:
You were correct in your original calculation. Is there a reason why you were thinking that maybe you should use the area of a circle rather than the surface area of a sphere?

I imagined the speaker on the ground, and then imagine the 'sphere' of sound in all directions. I didn't see it as a full sphere, so I thought the first equation wasn't right. Then I guessed it might just be a circle.
 
OK. Does it make sense now?
 
TSny said:
OK. Does it make sense now?
Yes it does. Thank you very much!