Calculating Unknown Forces in a Vector Diagram

In summary, the student is seeking help with their first mechanics assignment involving calculating the forces Fa and Fb in a vector diagram where the resultant force is 970 N along the x axis. They are unsure of which equation to use but have attempted the law of sines. They are struggling to find the correct values and are questioning the direction of the y-component of the resultant vector.
Xiomara

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm having trouble with my first mechanics assignment and I'd appreciate some help.
So, an object is being pulled using two ropes (Fa and Fb) with a resultant force of 970 N along the x axis. Angle from Fa to the axis is 20 degrees, angle from fb to the axis is 51 degrees. I need to calculate Fa and Fb.

Homework Equations

I think that I need to use either law of sines or cosines but am not sure.
c^2=a^2+b^2-2abcos(c)
sin(A)/a=sin(B)/b=sin(C)/c

The Attempt at a Solution

I made a vector diagram (triangle). I then tried to find F a and b by plugging all my knowns into the law of sines and solving. sin(C)/c=sin(51)/970=8.0118, but when I try to calculate the others based on this I get very small numbers, less than one. What am I doing wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing that the problem does not specifically state, is the direction (above or below) the x axis. So think about this. It is being pulled along the x axis. What does this tell you about the y-component of the resultant vector? Intuitively, one vector will be above the x-axis, and the other below the x-axis.

What is the formula for calculating 2 unknown forces?

The formula for calculating 2 unknown forces is F1 + F2 = Fnet, where F1 and F2 are the individual forces and Fnet is the net force.

How do I find the magnitude of the individual forces?

To find the magnitude of the individual forces, you can use the Pythagorean theorem (a^2 + b^2 = c^2) where a and b are the x and y components of the force and c is the magnitude.

What information do I need to calculate 2 unknown forces?

You will need to know the magnitude and direction of the net force, as well as the angle between the two unknown forces.

Can I use this method to calculate more than 2 unknown forces?

No, this method is specifically for calculating 2 unknown forces. If you have more than 2 unknown forces, you will need to use a different method, such as vector addition.

Is there a way to check my answer?

Yes, you can check your answer by using the original information and plugging it into the formula. If the net force equals the sum of the two individual forces, then your answer is correct.