1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating velocity at a certain time

1. Apr 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The following describes the position of a body as a function of time: [itex]X(t)=9\cdot cos(1.2t)\cdot e^{-t/10}[/itex].

What is the velocity of the body at t=17sec ?

2. The attempt at a solution
    I'm trying to use the formula [itex]v(t)=\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex] in order to get the velocity and I get: [itex]-9\cdot e^{\frac{-17}{10}}\cdot [sin(1.2\cdot 17)\cdot 1.2+\frac{1}{10}\cdot cos(1.2\cdot 17)]=-1.975[/itex]

I guess negative velocity means the body is travelling in the oposite direction but is seems a little odd. Could this be the right answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2012 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello phyyy,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

That's what I got (ignoring any rounding differences). :approve: But that assumes that the number 1.2 in the cosine function has units of rad/sec (as opposed to deg/sec).
    That shouldn't seem that odd. Velocity is vector. It has both magnitude and direction.

4. Apr 4, 2012 #3
    Thanks collinsmark!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook