Calculating Velocity for a Banked Curve: What Factors Affect the Best Speed?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Visual1Up
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Can someone start me in the right direction?

Radius = 105ft
length = 30 ft
height = 4ft
theta = ?
best velocity = ?

I am guessing I use ... tan(theta) = v^2/rg ... v = sqrt(rg tan(theta))

But the empty theta confuses me, and I am not sure how the length even fits in, thanks!,

-Mike
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would guess that the length and height are from the cross section of the road. If this is true, then you remember that for the best velocity, the normal force is the resultant of the weight and cent. acceleration force.
 
I am not sure I follow exactly, could you explain some more? Thanks!