Calculating Velocity from a variable force.

In summary: Sorry.In summary, a body of mass 5 kg is acted on by a force in a straight line, with its magnitude given by (2t - 3t^2) kg wt. The body has an initial velocity of 3 ms^-1 in the same direction as the force. In order to calculate its velocity after 4 seconds, the equation ∑F = ma and the formula a = dV/dt are used. By substituting the given values, the velocity after 4 seconds is calculated to be -6.6 ms^-1. However, the force was given in units of kg wt, so it needs to be converted to N using the acceleration due to gravity g. After making this conversion, the
RubiksMelia

Homework Statement

A body of mass 5 kg is acted on by a force in a straight line. The magnitude of the force after t seconds is given by (2t - 3t^2) kg wt. If the body has an initial velocity of 3ms-1 in the same direction as the force, calculate its velocity after 4 seconds.

Homework Equations

∑F = ma
a = dV/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I've done is this.

m = 5
F = (2t - 3t^2)
a = (2t - 3t^2) / 5
dV/dt = (2t - 3t^2) / 5
v = ∫(2t - 3t^2) / 5 dt
v = (t^2 - t^3) / 5 + c

Using t = 0, v = 3 (from initial velocity), solving for c yields c = 3. So,

v = (t^2 - t^3)/5 + 3 and substituting t = 4, I get v = -6.6ms-1

The back of my textbook gives an answer of -91.08ms-1, could someone please tell me where I've gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

I think your answer is correct. I don't see how you could get an answer of -91 m/s.

The wording of the problem is a little odd. "Magnitude" of a force is generally defined to be a positive quantity.
Yet, the expression 2t - 3t2 takes on negative values during the time interval 2/3 < t < 4.

TSny said:
Hello and welcome to PF!

I think your answer is correct. I don't see how you could get an answer of -91 m/s.

I just had a look at all of the question again and realized that the units which the force was given in are kg wt. I forgot to make the conversion between kg wt and N, and that threw me out.
(2t - 3t^2) kg wt = g(2t - 3t^2) N

Using F = g(2t - 3t^2), the correct answer of -91.08m/s was obtained.

OK. Good. I did not notice the kg wt.

1. How do you calculate velocity from a variable force?

The formula for calculating velocity from a variable force is v = (F/M)t + v0, where v is the final velocity, F is the variable force, M is the mass of the object, t is the time interval, and v0 is the initial velocity.

2. What is a variable force?

A variable force is a force that changes in magnitude or direction over time. It can be represented by a function or equation that relates the force to a specific variable, such as time or position.

3. Can velocity be calculated if the force is not constant?

Yes, velocity can still be calculated even if the force is not constant. This is because the formula for velocity takes into account the variable force and the change in time.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the calculation of velocity from a variable force?

The mass of an object is an important factor in calculating velocity from a variable force. The larger the mass, the more force is needed to accelerate the object to a certain velocity. This can be seen in the formula v = (F/M)t + v0, where a larger M will result in a smaller v for the same F and t.

5. What are some real-life examples of calculating velocity from a variable force?

One example is a rocket launching into space. The force of the rocket's engines changes over time as it burns through its fuel, resulting in a variable force. The velocity of the rocket can be calculated using the formula v = (F/M)t + v0. Another example is a car accelerating and then decelerating on a hilly road, as the force of gravity changes depending on the slope of the road. The velocity of the car can be calculated using the same formula.