Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating work done by a spring when stretched

1. Oct 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At a certain point, when a spring is stretched near its elastic limit, the spring force satisfies the equation

F = −α x + β x3 , where α = 12 N/m and β = 890 N/m3 .

Calculate the work done by the spring when it is stretched from its equilibrium position to 0.15 m past its equilibrium.
    Answer in units of mJ.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

since this is a nonlinear curve i thought that the area under the curve would equal the work done by the spring at the .15 m

so i integrated and got

-6x2 + 222.5x4

since the spring is starting at the equilibrium position, initial position is 0 and final position is .15m so

-6(.15)2+222.5(.15)4 = -.02235

this doesn't make sense since we are pulling the spring and the work should be positive right?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, but the problem asks for the work done by the spring, not the work done by the person pulling it.

4. Oct 15, 2010 #3
    ok so maybe its negative because the spring would be working to go back to its equilibrium position. My answer is wrong though, what am i doing wrong?

am i right in my approach? i really cant think of another way of going about it...

a hint would be very nice

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  5. Oct 15, 2010 #4
    if work = 1/2kx^2 then all i need to find is the constant k given the information... i dont see how i can do this because i dont know x for the given equation, it just tells me that its near its elastic limit

6. Oct 15, 2010 #5

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Work (actually, potential energy) does not equal 1/2 kx^2 in this case. That equation applies only when F = -kx per Hookes law. This spring does not follow that law. Your original solution looks correct to me, except you answered in joules , but the problem asked for the answer in milli-joules (mJ).
    -0.02235 J = ____?____ mJ ? (round it off to the nearest whole number).

7. Oct 15, 2010 #6
    -22.35. Thanks a lot, I can't believe I didn't see that.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook