Calculating Work Done by a Variable Applied Force

In summary, the applied force F varies with position according to F = k1xn - k2, where n = 3, k1 = 8.3 N/m3, and k2 = 87 N. The work done by this force on an object that moves from xi = 6.47 m to xf = 14.9 m is 97.904 kJ. The calculation formula is W = k1 x^4/4 - k2 x. Make sure to use enough digits during the calculations to avoid errors.
MissPenguins

Homework Statement

An applied force varies with position according to F = k1xn - k2, where n = 3, k1 = 8.3 N/m3, and k2 = 87 N. How much work is done by this force on an object that moves from xi = 6.47 m to xf = 14.9 m? Answer in units of kJ.

Homework Equations

W = k1 x4/4 ]from the integral of x1 to x2
- k2x]from x1to x2

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in everything, and I got 96.778 at first, then I thought I should use x33/3, then I got 6.543478 kJ.
I got both them wrong, did I do the calculation wrong? Please help, thanks. :D
SOLVED

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Agree with W = k1 x^4/4 - k2x from x1 to x2.
I got about -15000.

Delphi51 said:
Agree with W = k1 x^4/4 - k2x from x1 to x2.
I got about -15000.

I still didn't get that answer. :(

It is really W = k1 x^4/4 - k2 x , and I got 97904, similar to your result. Use enough digits during the calculations. ehild

ehild said:
It is really W = k1 x^4/4 - k2 x , and I got 97904, similar to your result. Use enough digits during the calculations.

ehild

I found my mistake, thank you very much.

What is "Simple integration for Work"?

"Simple integration for Work" is a software tool that allows different systems and applications to communicate with each other seamlessly. It simplifies the process of integrating different technologies and automates data exchange between them.

Why is integration important for businesses?

Integration is important for businesses because it streamlines processes, improves efficiency, and reduces errors. It allows different departments and systems to work together, sharing data and information in real-time. This leads to better decision-making and enables businesses to adapt quickly to changes in the market.

How does "Simple integration for Work" work?

"Simple integration for Work" uses a combination of APIs, connectors, and pre-built workflows to connect different systems and applications. It has a user-friendly interface that allows users to easily set up integrations and automate data transfer between systems.

What types of systems can be integrated using "Simple integration for Work"?

"Simple integration for Work" can integrate a wide range of systems, including CRM, ERP, e-commerce, marketing automation, project management, and more. It also supports popular cloud-based applications such as Salesforce, Quickbooks, and Shopify.

Is "Simple integration for Work" suitable for all businesses?

Yes, "Simple integration for Work" is suitable for businesses of all sizes and industries. It offers flexible pricing plans and customizable integrations to meet the specific needs of each business. It also provides excellent customer support to ensure a smooth integration process.