Calculating Work Done by Gas at Constant Pressure

In summary, a gas with an initial volume of 8m^3 and a temperature of 400K is warmed up to 550K at a constant pressure of 200Kpa. To calculate the work done by the gas, the ideal gas law (PV/T = NK) can be used. The answer should be given in Kj, and resources such as online tutorials can provide further guidance on understanding the concept of work in thermodynamics.
pizzamakeren
Homework Statement
How much work has the gas done?
Relevant Equations
K = Kelvin / Kpa = Kelvin Pascal
A gas with a volume of 8m^3 with a temperature of 400K gets warmed up to 550K with a constant pressure of 200Kpa. How much work has the gas done to the environment?

I think i might need to use the ideal gas law for this which is:
( P * V / T = N * K ) Where V is volume, T is temperature and N is the amount of atoms. P is pressure and K is a constant 1,38 * 10^-23J * K

The answer is supposed to be given in Kj, but I am unsure to how I am supposed to go forward.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the ideal gas law? Are you familiar with the equation for work in terms of pressure and volume change?

pizzamakeren said:
Homework Statement:: How much work has the gas done?
Relevant Equations:: K = Kelvin / Kpa = Kelvin Pascal

A gas with a volume of 8m^3 with a temperature of 400K gets warmed up to 550K with a constant pressure of 200Kpa. How much work has the gas done to the environment?

I think i might need to use the ideal gas law for this which is:
( P * V / T = N * K ) Where V is volume, T is temperature and N is the amount of atoms. P is pressure and K is a constant 1,38 * 10^-23J * K

The answer is supposed to be given in Kj, but I am unsure to how I am supposed to go forward.
I see that you've edited your Original Post after reading the hints/questions by @Chestermiller

So when the gas expands, it does work, right? A quick Google search provides some good learning resources if your textbook is not seeming to help...

https://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~cfadd/1150/14Thermo/work.html

https://www.khanacademy.org/science...ry/internal-energy-sal/a/pressure-volume-work

1. How do you calculate work done by gas at constant pressure?

The work done by gas at constant pressure can be calculated by multiplying the pressure (in Pascals) by the change in volume (in cubic meters).

2. What is the formula for calculating work done by gas at constant pressure?

The formula for calculating work done by gas at constant pressure is W = P * ΔV, where W is work (in Joules), P is pressure (in Pascals), and ΔV is the change in volume (in cubic meters).

3. Can work done by gas at constant pressure be negative?

Yes, work done by gas at constant pressure can be negative if the gas is expanding and the volume is increasing. This means that the gas is doing work on the surroundings.

4. What are the units for work done by gas at constant pressure?

The units for work done by gas at constant pressure are Joules (J) in the SI system. In other systems, it can also be expressed in units of energy such as calories or foot-pounds.

5. What is the difference between work done by gas at constant pressure and work done by gas at constant volume?

The main difference is that work done by gas at constant pressure involves a change in volume, while work done by gas at constant volume does not. Additionally, the formula for calculating work done at constant pressure includes the change in volume, while the formula for work done at constant volume does not.