Calculating work done to catch a ball

In summary, the boy needs to exert a force of 30,000 Newtons to stop the ball in 0.10 seconds. The ball is moving at 20 ms^-1 and has an initial velocity of 60 m/s.
druuuuuuuunnk
A boy catches a ball of mass 150g, which is moving at 20ms^-1

A) calculate the force which he must exert to stop it in (i) 0.10s (ii)0.50s

Im resonably sure i use the formula W=F.D

what confuses me is that to find the force i have to use F=M.A but 20ms^-1 is not accelleration. if not this formula then which one do i use?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
druuuuuuuunnk said:
A boy catches a ball of mass 150g, which is moving at 20ms^-1

A) calculate the force which he must exert to stop it in (i) 0.10s (ii)0.50s

Im resonably sure i use the formula W=F.D

what confuses me is that to find the force i have to use F=M.A but 20ms^-1 is not accelleration. if not this formula then which one do i use?

thanks
The ball comes to a stop in the given time. What is the speed of the ball when it stops? Use one of the kinematic motion equations to find the acceleration.

am i allowed to use the understanding that impulse equals the change in momentum.

so F*T=M*V

im thinking this becuase i have been given mass and velocity? so i would get 3000 jolues

wait never mind, sorry that was kinda stuuupid, i havnt used the time at all.

PhanthomJay said:
The ball comes to a stop in the given time. What is the speed of the ball when it stops? Use one of the kinematic motion equations to find the acceleration.

im looking at the kinematic equations but i don't know what one i should be using.

i've rearranged

Velocity=initial velocity + accelleration * time

i got (velocity/time)-initial velocity = accelleration

is this correct. ALSO how can i use this i only have velocity, not initial velocity. Or are they the same?

druuuuuuuunnk said:
am i allowed to use the understanding that impulse equals the change in momentum.

so F*T=M*V

im thinking this becuase i have been given mass and velocity? so i would get 3000 jolues

This is the closest you have got. Your only error to that point is to call the 3000, 3000 Joules.

The units of momentum are not Joules.

Work & Energy interact Force, distance, mass and velocity

Momentum & impulse interact Force, time, mass and velocity.

What information were you given? Which approach should you use?

i think I've worked it out on my 1's, for anyone else who might need this information you use the formula

F=M*(V/T)

PeterO said:
What information were you given? Which approach should you use?

so am i right to say i need to use the formula F=M*(V/T)?

it has given me (i)30,000 and (ii)6,000. are the units joules for these? I'm trying to find the work done to stop the ball.

druuuuuuuunnk said:
so am i right to say i need to use the formula F=M*(V/T)?

it has given me (i)30,000 and (ii)6,000. are the units joules for these? I'm trying to find the work done to stop the ball.

You seem to have lost track of the question - I will quote it here - with emphasis.

"calculate the force which he must exert to stop it in (i) 0.10s (ii)0.50s"

Numerically your answers are correct, and being forces, the unit will be Newton.

Notice that you were not trying to find the Work done to stop the ball. Indeed, at no time during the question was the word Work - or energy for that matter - used.

druuuuuuuunnk said:
im looking at the kinematic equations but i don't know what one i should be using.

i've rearranged

Velocity=initial velocity + accelleration * time
yes, that's final velocity = initial velocity + acceleration*time , or

vf = vi + at

where vf = velocity when ball stops and
vi = velocity just before the ball makes contact with the glove.
i got (velocity/time)-initial velocity = accelleration

is this correct.
Your algebra is not so good. If you solve for acceleration, then

a = (vf -vi)/t

Now using F = ma, you get

F = m(vf -vi)/t

Which is exactly the same as the impulse= change in momentum equation,

F(t) = m(vf -vi)

As PeterO has noted, correct your units for force.

1. How is work done calculated when catching a ball?

The work done when catching a ball can be calculated using the formula W = F x d, where W is the work done, F is the force applied to the ball, and d is the distance the ball is caught from its original position.

2. What units are used to measure work done when catching a ball?

The SI unit for work is joules (J). In the context of catching a ball, the force (F) is typically measured in newtons (N) and the distance (d) is measured in meters (m).

3. Does the mass of the ball affect the work done when catching it?

Yes, the mass of the ball does affect the work done when catching it. The greater the mass of the ball, the greater the force needed to stop it and the greater the work done.

4. Can the work done when catching a ball be negative?

Yes, the work done when catching a ball can be negative if the force applied is in the opposite direction of the displacement. For example, if a ball is caught and brought to a stop by a force pulling it in the opposite direction, the work done would be negative.

5. Is catching a ball considered an example of work?

Yes, catching a ball is considered an example of work. This is because a force is applied to the ball over a distance, resulting in the transfer of energy from the ball to the catcher's hand.