Calculating Work in Ideal Gas Systems with Movable Pistons

  • Thread starter Thread starter mp1019
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Thermodynamics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
mp1019
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



An ideal gas is enclosed in a cylinder that has a movable piston on top. The piston has a mass m and an area A and is free to slide up and down, keeping the pressure of the gas constant. How much work is done on the gas as the temperature of n mol of the gas is raised from T1 to T2? (Use T_1 for T1, T_2 for T2, and m, A, R, and n as necessary.)

Homework Equations


n=m/M
P=F/A
PV=nRT
PV=(kB)T
W=- integral of P dV from Vf to Vi ( sorry I was not sure how to format this!)

The Attempt at a Solution


I was not sure how to go about doing this. Do I set the ideal gas law equal to volume and then plug that into work?
 
Physics news on Phys.org