Calculating ξ° value for a galvanic cell

In summary, the ξ° value for the galvanic cell with the given half reactions of IO3(aq) + Fe2+(aq) <--> Fe3+(aq) + I2(aq) cannot be accurately calculated as the reactions do not make sense and the standard reduction potential for the cation's half reaction cannot be found.
Phyzwizz
Calculate the ξ° value for the galvanic cell:
IO3(aq) + Fe2+(aq) <--> Fe3+(aq) + I2(aq)

So I found the half reactions to be:

5Fe2+(aq) --> 5Fe3+(aq) + 5e- Reducing agent 0.77V
6H+(aq) + 5Fe2+(aq) + 5e- --> I2(aq) + 3H2O Oxidizing agent

The problem I have is that I can't find the standard reduction potential for the cation's half reaction. Do I just use the potential for I2(s) + 2e- --> 2I- or this something special that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Phyzwizz said:
Calculate the ξ° value

ξ°? and not E0?

IO3(aq) + Fe2+(aq) <--> Fe3+(aq) + I2(aq)

IO3(aq)? and not IO3-?

It can be difficult to not reduced iodine further to I- in the presence of Fe2+, but perhaps with right stoichiometry reaction will stop at I2.

5Fe2+(aq) --> 5Fe3+(aq) + 5e- Reducing agent 0.77V

Why 5?

6H+(aq) + 5Fe2+(aq) + 5e- --> I2(aq) + 3H2O Oxidizing agent

This is completely off - please check if that's what you meant.

The problem I have is that I can't find the standard reduction potential for the cation's half reaction.

Not surprising - reaction you wrote doesn't make sense.

What is the ξ° value for a galvanic cell?

The ξ° value for a galvanic cell is the standard cell potential, also known as the standard electrode potential, which is the measure of the potential difference between the two half-cells in a galvanic cell when they are connected with a salt bridge and have a concentration of 1 mol/L for all species involved.

How do you calculate the ξ° value for a galvanic cell?

The ξ° value for a galvanic cell can be calculated using the Nernst equation, which takes into account the concentrations of the species in the half-cells and the standard electrode potentials of the individual half-reactions. The equation is ξ° = ξ°R - ξ°O, where ξ°R is the standard reduction potential and ξ°O is the standard oxidation potential.

What factors can affect the ξ° value for a galvanic cell?

The ξ° value for a galvanic cell can be affected by the concentrations of the species in the half-cells, the temperature, and the pressure. Changes in any of these factors can cause a change in the standard electrode potentials of the half-reactions, which in turn affects the overall ξ° value of the cell.

Why is it important to know the ξ° value for a galvanic cell?

The ξ° value for a galvanic cell is important because it provides information about the potential difference between the two half-cells and the direction of electron flow in the cell. It also allows for the prediction of cell potential under non-standard conditions and helps in the design and optimization of electrochemical systems.

How is the ξ° value for a galvanic cell related to cell voltage?

The ξ° value for a galvanic cell is directly related to cell voltage. This is because cell voltage is the measure of the potential difference between the two half-cells in a galvanic cell under non-standard conditions, while the ξ° value is the potential difference under standard conditions. The Nernst equation can be used to calculate the cell voltage using the ξ° value and the concentrations of the species in the half-cells.