Calculation about virtual image

The virtual image is on the same side of the lens as the object, with a negative image distance.In summary, when discussing a problem involving a lens, it is important to create a visual representation of the situation. The virtual image will be on the same side of the lens as the object, with a negative image distance.
barryj

Homework Statement

See my attached information

Homework Equations

On my attached solution

The Attempt at a Solution

see my attached sheet

Please see my attached write up.
I would appreciate a quick nudge as stated.

Attachments

• img614.jpg
    img614.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 437
Physics news on Phys.org
barryj said:

Homework Statement

See my attached information

Homework Equations

On my attached solution

The Attempt at a Solution

see my attached sheet

Please see my attached write up.
I would appreciate a quick nudge as stated.
Make a picture. Note that the virtual image is on the same side of the lens as the object. And the image distance has to be taken negative, if it is virtual image.

Last edited:
Thank you. Yes, a picture really is the key here.

Related to Calculation about virtual image

1. What is a virtual image?

A virtual image is an optical phenomenon that occurs when light rays appear to originate from a point behind a mirror or lens, rather than in front of it. It is a type of image that cannot be projected onto a screen or captured on a photographic plate.

2. How is a virtual image different from a real image?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point, allowing the image to be projected onto a screen. A virtual image, on the other hand, appears to originate from a point behind the optical device and cannot be projected.

3. What factors affect the calculation of a virtual image?

The calculation of a virtual image is affected by the distance between the object and the mirror or lens, as well as the focal length of the optical device. The size and orientation of the object also play a role in determining the characteristics of the virtual image.

4. How is the distance between an object and its virtual image related?

The distance between an object and its virtual image is known as the virtual image distance. It is equal to the distance between the optical device and the point where the light rays appear to originate from. This distance is always positive, indicating that the virtual image is located behind the optical device.

5. Can virtual images be magnified or reduced in size?

Yes, virtual images can be magnified or reduced in size, just like real images. This is determined by the characteristics of the optical device, such as its focal length and the distance between the object and the device. However, unlike real images, virtual images cannot be projected onto a screen or captured in a photograph.