Virtual Image Location for Negative Lens System?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the final image created by a system involving a lighted object with a height of 1. The individual is struggling to understand how to find the location of a virtual image created by a negative lens. They use the thin lens formula to find the image distance of the first lens, which is located 6 units to the negative's right and 2 units after the focal point. They question how to use the equation for the second lens, as the object should be an object and not converging rays. The responder explains that the image from the first lens becomes the object for the second lens and should be treated as a virtual object. They suggest reviewing the derivation of the thin lens formula for a better understanding
mrlevis

Homework Statement

6pmeyv.jpg

S is a lighted object, height=1.
what is the final image that is created by the system?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i just don't understand how do i find the location of a virtual image created by a negative lens when the rays converge to a point beyond its focal point

thnks for helpers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't you just use the thin lens formula?

you mean this?:
1/f=1/U+1/V

i used this for the lens 1, and found that V, image distance, is 12, which means it is located 6 to the negative's right, 2 after the focal point.

So how can i use the equation for the second lens? U is supposed to be an object, not converging rays.

mrlevis said:
you mean this?:
1/f=1/U+1/V

i used this for the lens 1, and found that V, image distance, is 12, which means it is located 6 to the negative's right, 2 after the focal point.
All good.
So how can i use the equation for the second lens? U is supposed to be an object, not converging rays.
The image from the first lens becomes the object for the second. But since it's past the second lens, it must be treated as a virtual object. Just use the usual sign convention: If an object before the lens has a positive object distance, one after the lens would have a negative object distance.

oh... you right.
i don't know, for some reason i didnt think it would work.

but can you explain why is that? is there a simple proof to it?

I suggest that you review the derivation of the thin lens formula.

ok, thanks for help

Related to Virtual Image Location for Negative Lens System?

1. What is the "Final Image from Two Lenses"?

The "Final Image from Two Lenses" refers to the image that is produced when light passes through two lenses that are placed in close proximity to each other. This image is formed by the combination of the individual images produced by each lens.

2. How does the final image from two lenses differ from the individual images produced by each lens?

The final image from two lenses differs from the individual images produced by each lens in that it is a combination of the two individual images. This means that it will have characteristics of both individual images, such as a larger or smaller size, and may also be slightly distorted.

3. What factors affect the final image produced by two lenses?

The final image produced by two lenses can be affected by several factors, including the distance between the lenses, the focal lengths of the lenses, the angle at which the lenses are placed, and the quality of the lenses themselves.

4. Can two lenses produce a final image that is identical to the original object?

No, two lenses cannot produce a final image that is identical to the original object. This is because lenses are designed to bend and focus light, which can cause distortions and changes in the final image compared to the original object.

5. What applications does the concept of "Final Image from Two Lenses" have in science and technology?

The concept of "Final Image from Two Lenses" has many applications in science and technology, including in the fields of microscopy, photography, and optical instruments such as telescopes and microscopes. It is also crucial in understanding how our eyes and other visual systems work to produce images from the light that enters them.