Calculation of friction coefficient between wheel and road

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the friction coefficient between a road and car tire. The torque equation is used to determine the factors that contribute to the friction coefficient, such as braking torque, acceleration torque, and inertial torque. It is mentioned that the inertial term may be neglected if using massless wheels, but otherwise it must be included. The conversation also mentions the Coulomb friction model and its relationship to slip. Finally, the conversation touches on how the friction coefficient may vary with slip and the attempt to calculate this variation.
Raj
Hi all,

I need to calculate the friction coefficient between road and the tyre of the car.
I came across few answers like which solves as from the following torque equation.

Engine torque = braking torque + acceleration troque + Inertial torque + drag torque + rolling resistance.

For braking, Engine torque = 0. and the braking torque is assumed to be Cp * (Braking pressure).Acceleration torque is taken as (F = (Mue)* (Normal force i.e., the weight on the wheel)).

The inertial component is taken as J*(omega_dot). where omega_dot is the derivative of angular velocity of the wheel.

is the inertial torque component significant? can it be neglected?

How can the Mue of the road at slip = 0 be calculated as the Mue varies with the slip?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can neglect the inertial term provided you use massless wheels for which J = 0; otherwise, no, it must be included.

You are asking too much of a simple model here. The Coulomb friction model, Ffriction <= mu * Fnormal, does not depend on slip. When you use the equals sign, you are saying that slip is (1) impending or (2) slip is occurring.

image009.jpg
OldEngr63 said:
You can neglect the inertial term provided you use massless wheels for which J = 0; otherwise, no, it must be included.

You are asking too much of a simple model here. The Coulomb friction model, Ffriction <= mu * Fnormal, does not depend on slip. When you use the equals sign, you are saying that slip is (1) impending or (2) slip is occurring.
Thanks for the reply, I would like to know in the case where vehicle is already in slip. I read some where that the friction between the tire and road vary with the variation in slip. So, I am trying to calculate the variation of Mue(Braking force coefficient) with respect to slip. Please refer the following attachment to know about its variation.

1. What is the purpose of calculating the friction coefficient between wheel and road?

The purpose of calculating the friction coefficient is to determine the amount of resistance between the wheel and the road, which is crucial for understanding the performance and safety of a vehicle.

2. How is the friction coefficient between wheel and road calculated?

The friction coefficient is calculated by dividing the force of friction between the wheel and the road by the normal force exerted on the wheel.

3. What factors affect the friction coefficient between wheel and road?

The friction coefficient can be affected by various factors such as the type of tire, the condition of the road surface, the weight of the vehicle, and the speed of the vehicle.

4. Why is the calculation of friction coefficient important in vehicle design?

The calculation of friction coefficient is important in vehicle design because it helps determine the optimal tire design, road surface materials, and vehicle weight distribution for maximum performance and safety.

5. Can the friction coefficient between wheel and road be changed?

Yes, the friction coefficient can be changed by altering the factors that affect it, such as using different tire materials, improving road surface conditions, or adjusting the weight distribution of the vehicle.