Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of friction coefficient between wheel and road

1. Nov 25, 2014 #1

Raj

Hi all,

I need to calculate the friction coefficient between road and the tyre of the car.
    I came across few answers like which solves as from the following torque equation.

Engine torque = braking torque + acceleration troque + Inertial torque + drag torque + rolling resistance.

For braking, Engine torque = 0. and the braking torque is assumed to be Cp * (Braking pressure).Acceleration torque is taken as (F = (Mue)* (Normal force i.e., the weight on the wheel)).

The inertial component is taken as J*(omega_dot). where omega_dot is the derivative of angular velocity of the wheel.

is the inertial torque component significant? can it be neglected?

How can the Mue of the road at slip = 0 be calculated as the Mue varies with the slip?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2014 #2

OldEngr63

Gold Member

You can neglect the inertial term provided you use massless wheels for which J = 0; otherwise, no, it must be included.

You are asking too much of a simple model here. The Coulomb friction model, Ffriction <= mu * Fnormal, does not depend on slip. When you use the equals sign, you are saying that slip is (1) impending or (2) slip is occurring.

4. Nov 25, 2014 #3

Raj

image009.jpg

Thanks for the reply, I would like to know in the case where vehicle is already in slip. I read some where that the friction between the tire and road vary with the variation in slip. So, I am trying to calculate the variation of Mue(Braking force coefficient) with respect to slip. Please refer the following attachment to know about its variation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook