Calculation of Oscillation Period- Short Problem

In summary, a solid thin rod is attached to a frictionless pivot and released from rest at a small angle from vertical, resulting in simple harmonic motion. The oscillation period can be calculated using the equation T = 2pi * sqrt(L/g), but the moment of inertia must also be considered. For part b, the initial angle from the vertical can be found by taking into account the 2 cm variation in height of the bottom of the rod above the ground during oscillation.
BDM333

Homework Statement

You drill a hole at the end of a solid thin rod of length 1.3 m, and then attach the rod through this hole onto an approximately frictionless pivot. You then release the rod from rest at a reasonably small angle from vertical, so that it executes simple harmonic motion.

L=1.3m

a.) What will be its oscillation period? _____ seconds

b.) If the bottom of the rod varies its height above the ground by 2 cm during the oscillation, what was its initial angle from the vertical? ______ degrees
(Note: You may assume the width of the stick is negligible to make this well defined.)

Homework Equations

T = 2pi * sq root (L/g)
I = (1/3) M L^2 ... should I incorporate this equation for a thin rod?

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A, tried the T = 2pi * sq root (L/g) equation but got 2.2884 which was wrong
I didn't do part b, b/c I think I am missing some key concept for this problem

Physics news on Phys.org

Based on the information given, we can use the equation T = 2pi * sq root (L/g) to calculate the oscillation period of the rod. However, this equation assumes that the rod is a simple pendulum, which may not be the case in this scenario. It would be more accurate to use the equation for the period of a physical pendulum, which takes into account the distribution of mass along the rod.

To calculate the initial angle of the rod, we can use the equation I = (1/3) M L^2 to find the moment of inertia of the rod. From there, we can use the equation for the period of a physical pendulum, T = 2pi * sq root (I/mgd), where m is the mass of the rod and d is the distance from the pivot to the center of mass.

Once we have calculated the period, we can use the equation for simple harmonic motion, x = A * cos(2pi * t/T), where x is the displacement of the rod from its equilibrium position, A is the amplitude of the oscillation, and t is time, to determine the initial angle of the rod. We can set x equal to 2 cm and solve for the initial angle, which would be approximately 3.6 degrees.

It is important to note that this solution assumes an idealized scenario with no external forces or damping. In reality, there may be other factors that affect the oscillation period and initial angle of the rod.

1. What is the formula for calculating the oscillation period?

The formula for calculating the oscillation period is T = 2π√(l/g), where T is the period, l is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do you measure the length of the pendulum?

The length of the pendulum can be measured by measuring the distance from the point of suspension to the center of mass of the pendulum.

3. What is the value of acceleration due to gravity?

The value of acceleration due to gravity varies depending on the location, but on Earth it is approximately 9.8 m/s².

4. Can the oscillation period be affected by other factors?

Yes, the oscillation period can be affected by factors such as air resistance, temperature, and amplitude of the pendulum swing. These factors can cause small variations in the period.

5. How does the length of the pendulum affect the oscillation period?

The length of the pendulum directly affects the oscillation period. A longer pendulum will have a longer period, while a shorter pendulum will have a shorter period. This relationship is described by the formula T = 2π√(l/g).