Calculation of potential of an grounded sphere ball with charges

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
henry407
Messages
21
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Consider an originally neutral conductor sphere of radius R with a cavity and a point charge Q1 inside the cavity.
(a)The conductor is grounded. Find the electric potential outside the conductor and the total charge on the conductor.

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution


As shown on the figure I draw, I conclude that the E-field and the potential is zero by gauss law. Somehow, I think that is not possible as this question is followed up by 3 other questions which related to its potential. I hope someone could point out the mistake of the figure. Thanks a lot~
 
Attachments
  • ???.png
    ???.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org