Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of the Pontryagin index

1. Oct 5, 2012 #1
    When I read A.Zee's QFT in a Nutshell, he asked me to do the calculation of his exercise IV.4.6: (A.Zee called these the Pontryagin Index)

Let g(x) be the element of a group G. The 1-form v = gdg† is known as the Cartan-Maurer form. Then tr v^N is trivially closed on an N-dimensional manifold since it is already an N-form. Consider Q = SN ∫tr vN with SN the N-dimensional sphere. Discuss the topological meaning of Q. These con- siderations will become important later when we discuss topology in field theory in chapter V.7. [Hint: Study the case N = 3 and G = SU(2).]

I found that the result for G=SU(2) and N=3 is -24π^2, is it correct? I also calculated for the case N=1 and G=U(1), and i found the result is -2πi. What's on earth is the topological meaning of these results?

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2012 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Isn't vN the volume element? Sounds like you're calculating the group volume.

4. Oct 5, 2012 #3

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Just to clarify the notation: you have to calculate

[tex]v_i = g^\dagger \partial_{i}\,g [/tex]

[tex]Q[g] = \frac{1}{c}\int_{S^N}d^N\Omega\,\epsilon^{i_1 i_2 \ldots i_N}\,\text{tr}(v_{i_1}\,v_{i_2}\ldots v_{i_N})[/tex]

for various Lie groups G with a Lie group valued function

[tex]g \in G [/tex]

I guess the main problem you have is to find the correct constant c which obviously depends on the group G.

5. Oct 5, 2012 #4

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

OK, let's continue with U(1) on S1. Let's write

[tex]g(x) = e^{i\nu(x)}[/tex]

with a function nu(x) respecting the S1 periodicity, i.e. with

[tex]\nu(x+2\pi) = \nu(x)+n\;\Rightarrow\;g(x+2\pi) = g(x)+n[/tex]

Calculating v(x) we get

[tex]v_x = g^\dagger\,\partial_x\,g = i\,\partial_x\,\nu[/tex]

For the integral we find

[tex]-i\int_0^{2\pi}dx \, v_x = \int_0^{2\pi}dx \, \partial_x\,\nu = \nu(2\pi) - \nu(0) = n[/tex]

That means that the function nu(x) runs from 0 to n when x runs from 0 to 2π; so g runs around the U(1) circle n-times when x runs around the S1 circle once. That means that

[tex]Q[g] = n [/tex]

is nothing else but the winding number of the map

[tex]g: S^1 \to U(1)[/tex]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook