Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculational details of Hawking radiation

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    Can anybody help me with the original calculations of hawking radiation. I am working out the details of Hawking's original paper on black hole radiation. I am getting stuck at many places. Does anyone know about some place where the detailed calculations can be found.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2011 #2
    I'm not sure what kind of detail you are looking for, but the topic is for example covered in Townsend's lectures: http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/9707/9707012v1.pdf . Chapter 7 deals with Hawking radiation, but depending on your level of knowledge I'd recommend reading the previous sections as well.

4. Jun 15, 2011 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also, are you looking specifically for the details of the calculations in Hawking's papers, or exposition of Hawking radiation in general? Depending on what you're looking for, another possibility is the first reference that I give in

5. Jun 16, 2011 #4
    Thank you Polyrhythmic and George Jones for the reply and references,

I am looking for detailed calculations. I have some specific questions.

1. when we solve Klein-Gorden equation in Schwarzchild geometry, near scri+ and scri- we get both solutions outgoing and ingoing. how is it that only outgoing forms a complete set of solution near scri+ and ingoing near scri-. What I think is both ingoing as well as outgoing modes should together form a complete set.

2. Can you suggest some place where the complex algebra calculation used in Hawking's paper is done. I want to clearly understand where to put branch cut and how to do the integration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook