Calculational details of Hawking radiation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
mritunjay
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Can anybody help me with the original calculations of hawking radiation. I am working out the details of Hawking's original paper on black hole radiation. I am getting stuck at many places. Does anyone know about some place where the detailed calculations can be found.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Polyrhythmic said:
I'm not sure what kind of detail you are looking for

Also, are you looking specifically for the details of the calculations in Hawking's papers, or exposition of Hawking radiation in general? Depending on what you're looking for, another possibility is the first reference that I give in
George Jones said:
To this standard, I'll add

Introduction to Quantum Effects in Gravity by Mukhanov and and Winitzki (2009)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521868343/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime by Parker and Toms.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521877873/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Mukhanov and Winitzki is meant as an "easy", pedagogical, and short introduction.
 
George Jones said:
Also, are you looking specifically for the details of the calculations in Hawking's papers, or exposition of Hawking radiation in general? Depending on what you're looking for, another possibility is the first reference that I give in

Thank you Polyrhythmic and George Jones for the reply and references,

I am looking for detailed calculations. I have some specific questions.

1. when we solve Klein-Gorden equation in Schwarzschild geometry, near scri+ and scri- we get both solutions outgoing and ingoing. how is it that only outgoing forms a complete set of solution near scri+ and ingoing near scri-. What I think is both ingoing as well as outgoing modes should together form a complete set.

2. Can you suggest some place where the complex algebra calculation used in Hawking's paper is done. I want to clearly understand where to put branch cut and how to do the integration.