Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators Calculator that has wireless access?

1. Apr 25, 2007 #1

Are there any calculators out there (like ti's or other) that can communicate with other calculators via text messaging?

Our teacher said he will not allow any calculators on one of his exams because of this. I find it hard to believe that such a thing exists because i cant turn up any results in yahoo or google.

Am I wrong? Thanks o:)
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2007 #2
    The only thing I can think of is a palm pilot or something with more advanced calculator software installed.
  4. Apr 25, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you need calculators for the test? He could just check that everyone brought a simple scientific calculator if it's really needed.

I highly doubt his fears are founded though... what would be the point?
  5. Apr 25, 2007 #4

Staff: Mentor

He's probably afraid of someone being sent the answers. I saw a report on tv about kids photographing test answers on their cell phones and then simply copying the answers off of the cell phones during the test. :rolleyes:
  6. Apr 25, 2007 #5
    When everyone is half way through the exam, you bust your calculator and go to town:

7. Apr 25, 2007 #6
    What kind of test is it?
  8. Apr 26, 2007 #7

Probably art history.
  9. Apr 26, 2007 #8
    lol well I am thinking that it's one where a calculator isn't really necessary :tongue:
  10. Apr 26, 2007 #9
    Calculators? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say nope. Cell phones, palm pilots certainly though.

However like cyrus, if calculators are banned, I doubt you'll need one. That would just be cruel on the part of the professor.
  11. Apr 26, 2007 #10

They exist okay..... Google on bluetooth calculator and you will find them; like this one here:
    There's a pic on the link and it looks just like an ordinary calculator.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  12. Apr 26, 2007 #11
    Doesn't transmit from one calculator to another. Sure you could get it to, but if you're samrt enough to do that, why the hell are you in the class?
  13. Apr 26, 2007 #12
    The only reason I have ever been given for not being allowed to use a graphing calculator is that you can store data on them. No prof has ever said anything about being able to message people with them
  14. Apr 26, 2007 #13

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

15. Apr 26, 2007 #14

Nice watch. Watches are allowed right?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?