Calculator that has wireless access?

In summary, a calculator with wireless access is a device that combines the basic functions of a calculator with the ability to connect to the internet or other wireless networks. This allows for easy access to online resources and data, making calculations and problem-solving more efficient and convenient. It can also be used for tasks such as file sharing, remote collaboration, and accessing online tools and applications. With the growing reliance on technology in everyday life, a calculator with wireless access offers a versatile and practical solution for various needs.
ssb
Are there any calculators out there (like ti's or other) that can communicate with other calculators via text messaging?

Our teacher said he will not allow any calculators on one of his exams because of this. I find it hard to believe that such a thing exists because i can't turn up any results in yahoo or google.

Am I wrong? Thanks o:)

Computer science news on Phys.org
The only thing I can think of is a palm pilot or something with more advanced calculator software installed.

Do you need calculators for the test? He could just check that everyone brought a simple scientific calculator if it's really needed.

I highly doubt his fears are founded though... what would be the point?

Office_Shredder said:
Do you need calculators for the test? He could just check that everyone brought a simple scientific calculator if it's really needed.

I highly doubt his fears are founded though... what would be the point?
He's probably afraid of someone being sent the answers. I saw a report on tv about kids photographing test answers on their cell phones and then simply copying the answers off of the cell phones during the test. :rolleyes:

When everyone is half way through the exam, you bust your calculator and go to town:

calculator.jpg

What kind of test is it?

dontdisturbmycircles said:
What kind of test is it?
Probably art history.

lol well I am thinking that it's one where a calculator isn't really necessary :tongue:

ssb said:
Are there any calculators out there (like ti's or other) that can communicate with other calculators via text messaging?

Our teacher said he will not allow any calculators on one of his exams because of this. I find it hard to believe that such a thing exists because i can't turn up any results in yahoo or google.

Am I wrong? Thanks o:)

Calculators? I'm going to go out on a limb and say nope. Cell phones, palm pilots certainly though.

However like cyrus, if calculators are banned, I doubt you'll need one. That would just be cruel on the part of the professor.

They exist okay... Google on bluetooth calculator and you will find them; like this one here:
Casio's wireless USB calculator/keypad

This just in from the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" department: Since die hard calculator users refuse to toss those relics and use their onscreen counterparts, Casio has decided to take a traditional calculator, add some RF circuity and a USB dongle, and sell it as a combo calculator and numeric keypad that can be used with or without a computer. Sure, there have been other calculator/keypad combos before, but most have been wired, and none have so successfully simulated the look of a take-and-toss dollar-store model. Of course, you'd better be careful not to take that look too literally, since prices on these range from $45 to $63.
http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/14/casios-wireless-usb-calculator-keypad/
There's a pic on the link and it looks just like an ordinary calculator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Art said:
They exist okay... Google on bluetooth calculator and you will find them; like this one here:
http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/14/casios-wireless-usb-calculator-keypad/
There's a pic on the link and it looks just like an ordinary calculator.

Doesn't transmit from one calculator to another. Sure you could get it to, but if you're samrt enough to do that, why the hell are you in the class?

The only reason I have ever been given for not being allowed to use a graphing calculator is that you can store data on them. No prof has ever said anything about being able to message people with them

http://www.eurotech.com/EN/innovation.aspx?pg=wearable has wifi features
http://www.eurotech.com/EN/images/wearable3.jpg

But seriously, check out the HP 49G+ and HP50G with its IrDA interface (presumably for communication with a PC or a printer)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-49G

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice watch. Watches are allowed right?

1. How does a calculator with wireless access work?

A calculator with wireless access uses a wireless connection to access the internet and perform advanced calculations or access online resources such as databases. It typically has a built-in Wi-Fi or Bluetooth feature that allows it to connect to a wireless network or other devices.

2. What are the benefits of a calculator with wireless access?

The main benefits of a calculator with wireless access include the ability to access online resources, such as scientific databases or graphing tools, and perform advanced calculations that may not be possible with a traditional calculator. It also allows for easy data sharing and collaboration with others.

3. Are there any security risks associated with a calculator with wireless access?

While any device that is connected to the internet has some security risks, calculators with wireless access typically have limited capabilities and are not as vulnerable to cyber attacks as other devices. However, it is still important to take precautions, such as using strong passwords and keeping the software up to date.

4. Can a calculator with wireless access replace a traditional calculator?

It depends on the purpose and intended use. Calculators with wireless access are more advanced and have more capabilities, but they may not be allowed in certain standardized tests or exams. It is best to check with the test administrators or instructors before using a calculator with wireless access in an exam setting.

5. Are there any limitations to a calculator with wireless access?

Some calculators with wireless access may have limited battery life or require an internet connection to perform certain functions. Additionally, not all calculators with wireless access have the same features, so it is important to research and compare different models to find one that meets your specific needs.