1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus 1 and 2 regards to Civil Engineering

1. Sep 10, 2014 #1
    Hello Physics Forum,

I am an aspiring civil engineer and I just stumbled across this website tonight. I am just now taking calc 2 and have pretty much started off on the wrong foot. This class is already a headache and we have just covered the first quarter of the class. I expect it to get much harder. What I am wondering is how prevalent is calculus in regards to civil engineering. I am leaning towards the structural and construction side of the field.

Nice to meet you all,

sunbear

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2014 #2
    We're math folk here. I reckon your question is better aimed at the engineering folk.

4. Sep 10, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In US colleges, all engineering undergrads take ordinary calculus, differential equations, and some vector calculus (and complex variable calculus). If you are finding the basic calculus course tough going, this does not bode well for your academic future, because calculus will be used quite a lot in statics and dynamics courses as well as strength of materials and other structural analysis courses. IMO, you need to master basic calculus in order to understand the material which will be presented in these other courses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook