Structural/Geotechnical or Water Resource Specialization (Civil Engineering)

In summary, a structural engineer with a focus on water resources could be involved in projects like dams and spillways. It is up to the individual engineer if they want to specialize in this area.
CivilSigma
Hello,

May I ask any civil engineers on this forum for their input of pros/cons of specializing in structural / water resources engineering?

I am having a hard time choosing between the two because I really enjoy both subject. I enjoy both topics and I am afraid that if I choose one over the other, I may never end up working in both (is this even possible)?

Any input is really appreciated,

Sakon

Physics news on Phys.org
My sense in talking to a few enviro grads is that the job market is not all that great. I took Civil Engineering in undergrad school many years ago, with courses in both environmetal and structural , but with a focus on structural, and chose the latter for grad school studies. , not finding wastewater very interesting. Based on some of your recent responses to posts, you seem to have a good handle on structural mechanics. Now I can't decide for you of course, but you know what I would choose...

Likes CivilSigma
PhanthomJay said:
My sense in talking to a few enviro grads is that the job market is not all that great. I took Civil Engineering in undergrad school many years ago, with courses in both environmetal and structural , but with a focus on structural, and chose the latter for grad school studies. , not finding wastewater very interesting. Based on some of your recent responses to posts, you seem to have a good handle on structural mechanics. Now I can't decide for you of course, but you know what I would choose...

The only thing I like about water resources is hydraulics especially dams and spill ways. I don't know how to design anything but I like the idea of it.
Do you think structural engineers could be involved in such projects?

sakonpure6 said:
The only thing I like about water resources is hydraulics especially dams and spill ways. I don't know how to design anything but I like the idea of it.
Do you think structural engineers could be involved in such projects?
I don't think you should limit yourself to a particular area of civil/environmental/hydraulic engineering or civil/structural engineering, since you don't know what your first job will be. But as a structural engineer for dams and spillways, etc., does a job like this interest you?
http://aecom.jobs/germantown-md/structural-engineer/697E5D4AB9D240E4B3DC2C3D01D43CB1/job/

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes CivilSigma
Yes, thank you very much! This is what I've had in mind !
Since I'm studying in a Canadian university, do you think it will affect my chances of getting an engineering job in the US? Would I need an "equivalent" degree?

As long as your university is accredited, it should not make any difference at all. Engineers in the US come from all parts of the world. Of course, similar jobs exist in Canada ( check out Hydro Quebec)
Make sure you take courses in Reinforced Concrete design.

Likes CivilSigma
I really appreciate your input, thank you.

1. What is structural/geotechnical specialization in civil engineering?

Structural/geotechnical specialization in civil engineering is a branch of civil engineering that focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of structures and infrastructure. It involves analyzing the behavior of various materials and their interaction with the environment, as well as creating safe and efficient designs for buildings, bridges, tunnels, and other structures.

2. What skills are required for a career in structural/geotechnical engineering?

To be successful in structural/geotechnical engineering, one must have a strong understanding of mathematics, physics, and mechanics. They must also possess critical thinking and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work collaboratively with other professionals.

3. What types of projects do structural/geotechnical engineers work on?

Structural/geotechnical engineers work on a variety of projects, including designing and analyzing buildings, bridges, tunnels, dams, and other structures. They also work on projects related to soil stability, foundation design, and slope stability for construction and infrastructure projects.

4. How does water resource specialization fit into civil engineering?

Water resource specialization is an important aspect of civil engineering that involves the management, protection, and use of water resources. It includes designing and implementing systems for water supply, wastewater treatment, flood control, and irrigation. Water resource engineers also play a critical role in managing the impact of water on the environment and ensuring the safety and sustainability of water-related projects.

5. What are the current challenges in the field of structural/geotechnical and water resource engineering?

Some of the current challenges in these fields include dealing with aging infrastructure and the need for its rehabilitation, increasing demands for sustainable and environmentally-friendly designs, and adapting to the effects of climate change on infrastructure and water resources. There is also a growing focus on using innovative technologies and materials to improve the efficiency and safety of construction projects.