1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus 3 Problem (explain solution)

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Put the equation: p = 2 sin (x) cos (y) into rectangular coordinates. Identify the surface

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to look at all the identities but I can't seem to figure out which one to use. I have the solutions to this problem, which follows:

p^2 = 2 p sin x cos y
    => x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 2x (Where did this come from?)
    => x^2 - 2x + y^2 + z^2 = 0
    => (x^2-2x+1) + y^2 + z^2 = 1, which is a sphere of axis (1,0,0)

Can anyone explain the solution? Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Apparently you are dealing with spherical coordinates and the variable you are calling p is actually the spherical coordinate usually denoted as [itex]\rho[/itex]. And, what's worse, the x and y in your equation also don't represent the cartesian x and y. Here's what I think your given equation should be:

[tex]\rho = 2\sin(\phi)cos(\theta)[/tex]

where [itex](\rho,\phi, \theta)[/itex] are the spherical coordinates of (x,y,z). Try following your argument knowing that and using the usual spherical coordinate formulas.

4. Oct 18, 2009 #3
    You're right. That is supposed to be the right equation, but I just used x and y because I didn't understand how to use the symbols lol. I was/am browsing through my textbook and notes, but was unable to find to relate rho, phi, and theta to spherical coordinates. I understand that x^2 + y^2 and z^2 is the spherical formula, but I still don't understand the 2x portion.

5. Oct 18, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Oct 18, 2009 #5
    Oh! I finally get it now lol. thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook