Calculus-based physics textbooks

In summary: I found his lectures very clear, concise, and to the point.In summary, the books in the Berkeley physics series are outdated and not very good.
Fricadelle
bcrowell said:
Purcell is great, but most of the rest of the books in the Berkeley physics series are nothing special, and they are half a century out of date at this point. (Purcell is in a third edition, so it doesn't suffer from the problem of being out of date.)

The MIT series by French is likewise extremely out of date.

Hello I am myself trying to find good calculus-based physics textbooks at an introductory level (I majored long time ago in mathematics and took some physics courses at the university but it was a long time ago and never practiced since).

People seemed to recommend "Newtonian mechanics" often though (as well as his
"Vibrations and Waves"), and I was wondering what makes you say it is "extremely out of date"? Would I make myself a disservice learning from this book (which seemed maybe less steep than K&K)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fricadelle said:
Hello I am myself trying to find good calculus-based physics textbooks at an introductory level (I majored long time ago in mathematics and took some physics courses at the university but it was a long time ago and never practiced since).

People seemed to recommend "Newtonian mechanics" often though (as well as his
"Vibrations and Waves"), and I was wondering what makes you say it is "extremely out of date"? Would I make myself a disservice learning from this book (which seemed maybe less steep than K&K)?
Alonso and Finn: Fundamental University Physics. I am also math major, and I found this book enjoyable. Brief, well-written, insightful, and clear book. It is not covered by a cluster of diagrams on every page, but when the author makes a diagram, it is clear, self-explanatory, and memorable .Does not shy away from the Calculus. The 2nd volume (EM) and 3rd volume (Quantum/ especially this one) make this book shine...

French is a fine choice. Many of today’s freshman texts trace their origins to that time period, i.e., it is not out of date. The goal is to find something readable for YOU.

Afterwords, if you are not driving towards something, you might check out Susskind’s theoretical minimum books and videos.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between calculus-based and algebra-based physics textbooks?

Calculus-based physics textbooks use calculus as the primary mathematical tool to explain and solve physics problems, while algebra-based textbooks use algebra and trigonometry. Calculus-based textbooks are typically used in more advanced physics courses, while algebra-based textbooks are used in introductory courses.

2. Are calculus-based physics textbooks more difficult to understand?

It depends on the individual's mathematical background and understanding. If someone has a strong foundation in calculus, they may find calculus-based physics textbooks easier to understand. However, for those who struggle with calculus, algebra-based textbooks may be a better option.

3. Can I use a calculus-based physics textbook if I haven't taken a calculus course?

It is not recommended to use a calculus-based physics textbook if you have not taken a calculus course. Understanding calculus is crucial to understanding the concepts in a calculus-based physics textbook. It is recommended to take a calculus course before attempting to use a calculus-based physics textbook.

4. Do calculus-based physics textbooks cover the same topics as algebra-based textbooks?

Yes, both types of textbooks cover the same topics in physics. However, calculus-based textbooks may go into more depth and use calculus to explain and solve problems, while algebra-based textbooks may use simpler mathematical tools.

5. Are there any advantages to using a calculus-based physics textbook?

Yes, calculus-based physics textbooks allow for a deeper understanding of the mathematical principles behind physics concepts. They also prepare students for more advanced physics courses and other fields of study that require a strong understanding of calculus.