1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Physics Textbook recommendations for calculus based physics course

1. Oct 11, 2017 #1
    Hello! So I need some textbook recommendations for calculus based physics course. I have taken an algebra/ trigonometry physics course last semester, but now I'm taking a calculus based. I have a textbook which the professor told us will follow our course. The book is Fundamentals of Physics (Extended Version) by David Halliway

It's giving me trouble because I like to visualize or have a picture in my mind how things work. If I could have an extra book to "dumb it down" for me, then I can catch up with the class textbook. I thought of Physics for Dummies but I'm not sure..

If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know. I want to do my best for this course.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Maybe have a look at the threads listed at the bottom of the page under "Similar Discussions" to see if any of those are the kind of thing you are looking for. :smile:

4. Oct 11, 2017 #3
    my favorite books are :
    1. Fundamentals of Physics volume 1 by Shankar
    2. Fundamentals of Physics volume 2 by Shankar

Videos, exercises, and other materials here and here

3. CONCEPTS OF PHYSICS VOL 1 by Verma
    4. CONCEPTS OF PHYSICS VOL 2 by Verma

I like the above books much better than the normal resnick halliday , young freedman etc.

Also, if you can get hold of the three volume Fundamental University Physics by Alonso and Finn (not the single volume physics), they are pretty good as well.

5. Oct 11, 2017 #4

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It sounds like you are trying to skip a calculus prerequisite for your physics class. Halliday & Resnick is a well respected standard. I recommend that you get comfortable with first-year calculus rather than looking for other physics books. You will not regret learning calculus.

6. Oct 13, 2017 #5
    These are just problem books which severely lack theory. The author expects the reader to know how to solve differential equation (SHM chapter) and triple integrals. In forces chapter he does all kinds of hand-wavy maths just to avoid using string constraints. He does not introduce any of these essential maths to reader. Moreover this book is marketed for first year high school physics students.

These books can single handedly make you hate Physics if read without necessary mathematical prerequisites. If anything this book is a very good problem book but stay away from theory part.

7. Oct 13, 2017 #6
    Hence the other two books and the videos :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted